Pool Opening

Aug 13, 2018
Louisville
Hi all,

So excited to open my pool this week, I found TFP last year about midway through the season, and aside from taking out the trash and having 2 bags of empty jugs, its been really great having such a clear and clean pool.

I have not uncovered my pool yet, but was starting to research how to open a "TFP" pool, but I cant for the life of me find a checklist? I am thinking there is one here somewhere, but I don't see anything.

I normally would, remove mesh cover, get all pump/equip up and going, net out any solids I can from bottom, then vacuum to waste. I would then normally use the Opening Kit from Leslie's.

So now that I am in the TFP world, is there a standard "metals" or whatever that you use for opening, or is it get it cleaned up and start testing??

Thanks again for all your help here, re-reading my thread last year makes me smile, lol... what a difference you guys make in a pool owners life....

You got it. I know it sounds to easy to be true but there is no magic start up or opening potions or chemicals.

You get your pool uncovered and all the equipment running, skim out and leaves that found their way in over the winter, and then you test your water and adjust as needed.

Hopefully your water is still as clear as the day you covered it. If its not clear or you show any signs of algae jump right into a SLAM once your equipment is going.

Ok, finally opened today. Slightly green, mostly on bottom.

Vacuumed to waste most of it, dumped in 1 gal of 10%.

Let jets run for a few hours while son was at soccer.

Came back, pool is good for first day, dumped another half gallon while I brushed it really well. Kinda cloudy now as jets run through filter.

After all that just tested:
Chlorine 1.5
CYA - water so clear, didn’t register to 30
TA: 30
PH: 7.0 - 7.2

So, guessing a SLAM is in order, going to let jets run a bit, retest in morning.

I have some pucks from last year, should I put a few in to raise CYA??

I realize PH is low, but if slamming should be ok for now.

Cold water, prob 50 degrees

Before vacuum:1FA5A263-DBA6-4443-BDBC-53CF1C9B2CF4.jpeg

Last edited:
A few pucks will not add enough CYA to SLAM. I would suggest adding 20 ppm CYA via the sock method.
Be sure to let the water warm to room temperature next time before testing CYA.

Tommy, just to be safe (humor me please) ...... before you add stabilizer, please post a fresh test again of just the FC and CC. I'm assuming the CYA is zero from your past post, although your water is still cold. So if you chose to check CYA one more time, bring the sample indoors for about 30 minutes to warm up then go check outside again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry been a busy day. This morning I had no chlorine.

I went ahead and took pool store so they can check everything. They got CYA 0.

I went ahead and bought 4lbs of stabilizer and about 2/3 of it in a couple socks now.

Couple things that came up from their test. They thought I should address...

Alk: 50 .. too low should be 90
Calcium 90 .. should be 300
Phosphate: 400 ... need bottle of phosfree

Added 1/2 gal of 10% bleach, just to ride out they CYA add...99094

How long til that stuff dissolves?

My plan was CYA first...

Pool looks pretty good

CYA will take a day or so to dissolve unless you aggressively squeeze the socks.

CH is unnecessary in a Fiberglass pool.

TA of 90 usually causes rising pH. Keep your pH in the upper 7's and the TA will be what it is.

Phosphates are money makers for pool stores. No need to bother with them.

Stay out of the pool store.

Reactions: JMadden
[QUOTE="Alk: 50 .. too low should be 90
[/QUOTE]

Forgive me if you already mentioned this, but I didn’t see it on your thread. Do you have you own test kit?

Forgive me if you already mentioned this, but I didn’t see it on your thread. Do you have you own test kit?
It's in their sig ;)

Sorry been a busy day. This morning I had no chlorine.
I went ahead and took pool store so they can check everything. They got CYA 0.
I went ahead and bought 4lbs of stabilizer and about 2/3 of it in a couple socks now.
Couple things that came up from their test. They thought I should address...

Alk: 50 .. too low should be 90
Added 1/2 gal of 10% bleach, just to ride out they CYA add...
How long til that stuff dissolves?
My plan was CYA first...
Pool looks pretty good
No pool store purchase suggestions ;) Good job adding the chlorine, How much does that raise your CYA to? (PoolMath suggests about CYA/19 if you added about 42oz)

Did you use the FAS-DPD test to check for FC/CC's?

Last edited:
Couple things for the OP...

I started the TFP method 4 maybe 5 years ago. I had been a huge fan of the chlorine pucks in a floater my whole life. Every year around August, my pool would be green and I just couldn't get it right. Pool store would test my water and sell me $300 worth of stuff to clear it up. Ended up wasting $300 and closing the pool weeks early every year. My first year at my new house, i decided to research how to better take care of a pool and found this site. I was told to stop going to the pool store by numerous people and to trust my own testing. It took me a few weeks to stop with the pool store testing. I know it's tough because it's what you've always done. Listen to the folks here. I have a 15k gallon AGP and I literally spend somewhere between $80-$100 a year in chlorine to keep it clear. That's it. Equals about 2.5-3 gallons a week of 12.5%. Little more for 10% when i can't find the 12% stuff. Nothing else goes in my pool except about $12 worth of stabilizer at the beginning of each year.

Right now, you need to get your CYA up to 20 or so like mentioned about and ONLY worry about the FC and CC testing until it passes. Keep FC around 10-12 according to pool math until you pass the SLAM. Then let it drop down to normal range. Once you get there, just test daily and add chlorine as needed. I saw you mention liquid chlorine was expensive. If it's pricey at pool store, check out Lowes, Home Depot, Ollies, Menards, Rual King, Ace Hardware, etc. You can usually find 10% or 12.5% under $3 a gallon.

Good Luck!

No chance to test this morning to see what CYA has done, I dont plan to test it until most of the sock is gone.

To answer some of the previous questions/comments

According to pool math, I expect CYA around 20-30 when the socks are done.

When mentioning the expense of the liquid, I meant the conditioner liquid.

I wanted some CYA before I started the SLAM process, I thought this was a good idea, but looking at the weather, its supposed to start getting to 85 now during the days.

So, can I slam while doing CYA via sock or should I wait?

Currently Chlorine is probably under 1, just putting in half a gallon of 10% a day to keep pool pretty clear. I can see the robot at bottom of pool (pic above) from my upper deck of house, probably 75ft away or so.

Reactions: splashpad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.