Pool opening screw up with Baquicil

Sambo74

Apr 26, 2020
Church hill, TN
Hi guys, I Just got my 24' pool installed and was given Bacquicil with instructions on use. I was suppose to use 1 and 1/2 bottles of sanitizer for step 1 so I put in one bottle of sanitizer but my wife accidently put in 1/2 bottle of CDX instead of 1/2 sanitizer for step 1. I called the pool shop and they said it should be ok. I'm hoping it will but just wondering others opinions about this. After putting in the other 1/2 bottle of sanitizer I waited 15 minutes and put in correct amount of oxidizer in and 1/2 bottle CDX in skimmer.

Best thing you can do is drain your pool ASAP and get rid of the Bacquicil. We never recommend using it.

First and foremost, Congrats on your new pool!!

There is no harm nor foul in adding the chemicals in the order you did. Don't stress about it. If I may ask a question however, do you have a certain reasoning for wanting to use Baquacil?

Does the pool place sell Baqua products? If so, I'm sorry to say you got talked in to a very costly and sub-par method of water care by someone who stands to profit greatly from you using it.

I really wish you had asked here first. It's easy to give TFPC a try and, if unsatisfied (as unlikely as that would be, many users with skin conditions find it the best pool they've ever used) switch to baqua. Going from baqua to chlorine is not as easily done, especially since they've already gotten you putting CDX in your water.

As another user on the site who has been struggling in vain to make baqua work for years has pointed out: you won't find a site like TFP for baqua. There is no online community of happy and knowledgeable users ready to help out when things start going sour. With baqua you're more or less stuck dealing with the store that got you in to it in the first place. That doesn't sound like a very equitable deal to me.

I wish you luck with your pool care.

Thanks for replies. The pool place we got the pool from said Baquacil was better for people with skin problems , my wife has occasional skin problems so that's why we are using it.

Has your wife ever encountered skin issues from swimming in chlorinated pool (or for that matter municipal) water? I started with chlorine and changed to baquacil simply due to issues I ran into with chlorine. BTW, I'm the guy Donldson is referring to as the 'struggling'
baqua user so feel free to message me and ask away if you DO plan to continue with it - even if for only a short time. The least I can do around here is to pass along any helpful advice from what I've gleaned in my 20+ years of using the stuff! Best of luck....

Welcome to TFP and congrats on your new pool!

When we got our pool, my husband thought he had a sensitivity to chlorine. He had been on a swim team in school and the water always irritated his skin, as he was swimming in a public pool which aren't always in the best water condition. So when we bought a house with a pool, we tried baquacil. The first 2 years or so, it was okay. But then it got worse in the 3rd and 4th year to the point that we could never get it cleared up and we were spending a fortune on their chemicals. Our pool is long and narrow and I like to swim laps, but I didn't enjoy it anymore because the water was so cloudy, I was afraid I was going to swim into a wall. Baquacil is also a pricey method, and we always had to take our water somewhere to get tested so they could sell us more product while the pool looked worse and worse.

The best thing we ever did for our pool was join TFP and with the help of these really smart people, we switched to chlorine and then shortly after that, got a salt water generator. Like your wife, I sometimes have skin problems but the pool never seems to bother it.

If you end up staying with Baquacil, I wish you luck, but it never worked for us. Although my experience is only anecdotal, I don't think Baquacil is for swimming pools. Maybe it would work with a spa, I don't know. Going from a Baquacil pool to a sparkly clear TFP pool was like night and day. The difference in the water was amazing.

Welcome to TFP! At others have mentioned, there's not really anybody on TFP that uses Baquacil on a regular basis besides @anthonypool89, and last I knew even they were considering finally switching to chlorine. From what I've read of their threads, I'm honestly surprised they haven't.

Like the others, I'd like you to consider using Chlorine. I set up my pool in mid-June, the water has always been crystal clear. No smell of chlorine at all, I had a guest ask if we used chlorine because they couldn't smell it. A properly maintained chlorine pool should be this way, but outside of TFP there's a lot of misunderstanding about chlorine in pools.
full

I add roughly 2.5 gallons of 12.5% chlorine @$3.99/gal and about half a gallon of acid @$3.99/gal per week. So basically $12/week in chemical costs, plus occasional test kit refills, to have a chlorine pool that's crystal clear and doesn't smell of chlorine in the slightest. And from what I've read on here, I can expect that year after year after year, which is not at all what I've read from people using Baquicil (at a staggering higher cost of chemicals to boot!). From what I've seen, Baquicil seems to work fine (if expensive) for a few years but then people inevitably run into issues. That's usually when they find us, convert to chlorine, and ask why they hadn't switched much earlier! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.