Pool opening, high chlorine concerns.

JeffMD

Member
Jun 22, 2010
23
Ok so I just purchased and setup the intex 12x36 metal frame pool several days ago, and I religiously memorized (ok..I copied it to my iphone to always have with me) the temporary/small pool maintenance post from this web board. My dad maintained the easy set we had last year and after a while it went green (not cloudy) and never went back, so this year I am taking full control of a new one.

Its been a little tricky with measurements because it is such a small pool, only 1700 gallons. The fresh fill water had a high ph but after one application of aqua-chems PH down, I had nailed it to 9.2. I proceeded to introduce the shock for it after the next 4 days. I only put in about 150-200 mliters (this is about the most accurate form of measurement I have around, a large measuring glass) each night, and didn't go swimming in it until the 4th night (5th if you count the first night I only added PH down too it).

Unfortunately my kit is the cheaper kind using oto, so with no establish CYA it has been dark yellow from the start even when there was no chlorine in it. I am assuming that once I stop application of the shock (which I have as of 2 nights ago, so 4 nights total of shock) the chlorine will fall from its assumed 12ish ppm to 2-5 range. Now I have learned that sunlight destroys chlorine and being in florida we get ALOT of sunlight, so unless we are in the pool I have been keeping it covered at all times. My first question would be with the pool covered, about how long till I should be seeing the chlorine drop and start needing to use the tablets? Should I uncover it until it drops enough that the test starts registering a low chlorine count?

Also algaecide, I have a %20 solution and if I am reading it correct, I still need only very little of it for 1700 gallons? I just stuck in the first application today as I don't plan to stick any more chemicals in it tonight, and even then I only filled it enough to cover the bottom of the measuring glass. Directions were 13oz for 10k so for 2k gallons thats only a mear 2-3oz.
 

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
3,899
Tucson, AZ
Jeff, welcome to TFP!
You may have this already figured out by now, but with no CYA the FC will go down very quickly if you expose it to the sun. As for the algaecide, sounds like you have it figured out. 1700 gallons won't need very much.
 

svenpup

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 18, 2009
835
Sacramento, CA
JeffMD said:
...The fresh fill water had a high ph but after one application of aqua-chems PH down, I had nailed it to 9.2. I proceeded to introduce the shock for it after the next 4 days...
I assume 9.2 is a typo. Did you mean 7.2?
 

JeffMD

Member
Jun 22, 2010
23
yea... x.2 ;)

Melt, the shock has cya in it, and I have probably put about 6-700mL of it in now.

I took a water sample to the pool shop and they did their test (half which seemed to be the same old color test we do). Unfortunately the one test I wanted them to do, cya, they don't do unless asked, and by then the water I had given them was used up and disposed. However all tested reading levels were green aside from my ph seemed to have fallen near 7, so I threw in some PH up, although I don't think it did a whole lot. I'm waiting 48 hours before I decide to put some more in.

Anyways, FC and CC levels were 3.0 and TC was 0 (and my OTO test is still a dark yellow) so I'm not sure whats up, I may return the kit as defective and spend a few bucks on the bigger one that can do the dual chlorine test. I will probably startup with tablets tomorrow (I havn't put any bleach in since the shock) although I just read that tablets also contain cya, so I will probably alternate with just plain bleach which I also bought. I don't think keeping the chlorine up is going to be a big problem for me (I can always resort to the smell test) but being such a small pool, I don't want to accidentally OD on the CYA. Keep in mind the pool isn't used that much, maybe a max of 30 minutes a day if it is used at all. And when ever it is not in use, it is covered.

Side note: Hosed the filter out for the first time since opening, and it has been running near %100 of the time (I am told it doesn't need to be, but it is the only water flow for the chemicals I put in to mix by). Hosed it off and looks like new, so nothing funny getting filtered. By the way, the guy at the pool place told my I shouldn't worry about my CYA levels in a pool this small, and that the intex filters actually remove it. This is the first iv'e heard of this. He suggest that I should be using a floater for tablets so I am constantly putting both chlorine and cya in.
 

sbluhm

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2008
84
Virginia Beach, VA
JeffMD said:
the guy at the pool place told my I shouldn't worry about my CYA levels in a pool this small, and that the intex filters actually remove it. This is the first iv'e heard of this. He suggest that I should be using a floater for tablets so I am constantly putting both chlorine and cya in.
Well, he's a bit wrong about that one.. filters don't remove CYA, and you absolutely should consider the CYA level. Whether your pool is 1 gallon or 1 million, the basics of BBB are the same.. get your CYA in range, keep it there, and chlorinate based on the CYA/Chlorine chart recommendation.

Having said that, you could have success with the floaters and tablets, IF you are aware of the CYA level, and you get plenty of splash out/rain dilution that keeps it at a manageable level. Although you might also do some quick math on the price of bleach plus occasional CYA addition, versus tablets and possible water replacement.

Good luck!
 

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
20,941
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
JeffMD said:
Ok so I just purchased and setup the intex 12x36 metal frame pool several days ago
-snip-
Its been a little tricky with measurements because it is such a small pool, only 1700 gallons.
How deep is the water, actually? If it's 2½ feet I get 2115 gallons. At 3 feet deep it's a hair over 2500 gallons.

Knowing the volume makes a big difference on the dosage!
 

JeffMD

Member
Jun 22, 2010
23
my bad. its 12x33. The odd number got me. I just know the volume from what it said on intex's web site.
 

Other Threads of Interest