Pool Opening Cover Removal Disaster

Jun 7, 2008
7
Illinois
#1
Hi,

This is our first season opening our pool. Disaster hit when removing the pool cover, much of the debris went in. Was able to remove large pieces with leaf rake, then vacuumed several times after settlement. Back flushed several times during this process to maintain good suction. Added 2 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine, 1 llb. of chlorine free shock, and 6 oz. super clarifier during this process to start fighting the nasties. When all said and done, the water is now cloudy, but free of debris. Here are my numbers:

CYA: 35
TA: 290
CL: 5+
PH: 7.5
TH: 670

This is on a 24ft. above ground pool with a sand filter. Read in another post that someone had a rover coming over after. What is that and is it necessary? Can this be treated with home therapy?
 

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
12,177
SWSuburban Chicago, IL
#2
Hi, welcome to TFP!

I would recommend you just stick with the liquid chlorine or regular bleach to shock, your "chlorine-free" shock likely won't help much. Your water is cloudy still and that's ok just keep running your filter 24/7 and backwashing.

Your TA is on the high side so when the water is clear you can work on lowering it... Your Total Hardness is getting high that's why I suggest just using liquid chlorine sources like bleach for shocking.

You should keep your shock level to 15 so put in enough bleach according to the pool caclulator and hold it at that level until it stays that way overnight, then you'll know that all the algea is dead....

You really don't need a clarifier I don't think.

Other, more exprienced folk will be along shortly to advise you further. Just be patient, your doing fine. Feel free to post any questions and updates on this thread.
 

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
31,271
Sebring, Florida
#3
Read in another post that someone had a rover coming over after. What is that and is it necessary? Can this be treated with home therapy?
I do not understand this question(s)?
 
Jun 7, 2008
7
Illinois
#4
Hi everyone and a big thank you to all involved in the running of this website.
Right ! opened my pool things looked great when removing the cover but just before we got it
all off it burst opened leaving all the winter crap lying in the pool, I have a pool rover coming
on Monday what can I do until then.
 

whoozer

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 2, 2008
633
Acton Maine
#5
Just keep scooping and scooping and scooping.....you must have a leaf net. That's a start anyway. Scoop and clean your filter. Manually vacuum. :cry:
 

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
12,177
SWSuburban Chicago, IL
#6
I don't know what a pool rover is. Some kind of automated cleaner/vacume?

Do you have a net on a pole to scoop out the bigger particles?

Run your filter 24/7 and determine how much chlorine you need to bring your pool to shock level. Then go to the grocery store or wal-mart and buy enough bleach (chlorine). Keep your chlorine level at 15ppm (shock level) until it holds there overnight, and your water is sparkling clear.

Keep testing your water and posting the results on this thread so that we can continue to advise you.

It doesn't sound like you will have too much trouble, just use only liquid chlorine for now, and keep running your filter, vacuming, brushing, backwashing....
 
Jun 7, 2008
7
Illinois
#7
My hubby doesn't know how to post..our last response was from another post - the same thing happened to them, but they mentioned having a rover coming over. I think it might be a professional pool person. I was looking for solutions on what to do to treat the cloudy pool. What is a good test kit? Mine goes up to 5 on chlorine. Thanks frustratedpoolmom on your suggestions. This is new to us - we are learning and appreciate any responses.

We bought this pool used last summer and it came with a load of chemicals. We have 6 gallons of 10% chlorine left. Is it safe to swim in a pool that is cloudy? I am concerned about the pool cover nasties that dumped into it.

Thanks,
Jim
 

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
12,177
SWSuburban Chicago, IL
#8
drewcrew said:
My hubby doesn't know how to post..our last response was from another post - the same thing happened to them, but they mentioned having a rover coming over. I think it might be a professional pool person. I was looking for solutions on what to do to treat the cloudy pool. What is a good test kit? Mine goes up to 5 on chlorine. Thanks frustratedpoolmom on your suggestions. This is new to us - we are learning and appreciate any responses.

We bought this pool used last summer and it came with a load of chemicals. We have 6 gallons of 10% chlorine left. Is it safe to swim in a pool that is cloudy? I am concerned about the pool cover nasties that dumped into it.

Thanks,
Jim
I wouldn't swim in it, there could be bacteria present. The TF Test Kit available from Duraleigh is a great kit that has gotten rave reviews. You can also get the Taylor test kits. There are ways to dilute your sample to test with your current kit to read higher chlorine readings but that's kind of tediuous.

Honestly, your leftover chlorine if it's from last year may not be very good. The strength is likely diluted quite a bit, depending on the age.

I'm going to try to find the post about testing the chlorine's strength and I'll post it.

You may need to run to the store to buy some fresh bleach.
 
G

Guest

#9
The 10% chlorine from last year has probably lost a lot of strength and is probably about as strong a bleach right now. Doesn't mean it's bad, just means you will need to use more of it to get the same FC level. A good test kit is really a good idea. Ether the TF100 (see the link in my sig for TF Test Kits) or a Taylor K-2006
 
Jun 7, 2008
7
Illinois
#10
Hi,

The pool is crystal clear now, but the chlorine is quite high. My current test kit only goes to 5 (yellow) and the color is more of an orange (not sure how high that would read). The PH is 7.4 and TA at 280. My question is, would it be safe to swim in? I have a party today, but want to make good decisions.

Thanks,
Mary
 

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
12,177
SWSuburban Chicago, IL
#11
Do you have a pool store nearby that can test the water for you?

How about some distilled water? I know there is a way to dilute your water sample to see how high the chlorine really is. I'll see if I can find it.
 

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
12,177
SWSuburban Chicago, IL
#14
That's a good question, and one for a true expert like Waterbear, Duraleigh, ChemGeek, etc. I know it has to do with chemistry and CYA/Chlorine ratio....

I honestly am not sure. If they are not along shortly, try sending Waterbear or one of the others a PM.

I've swam in 10ppm, no issues. If it's kids coming to swim, they do tend to drink the water....

I wish I could help you on this one.

While waiting for an answer, try "search" for safe swimming levels. I'll look too.
 

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
37,879
Silver Spring, MD
#15
Those of us who are very active on the site and answer many questions generally prefer if you don't ask us questions via PM. Questions are best asked on the forum where others can benefit from the answers.

I feel that it is safe to swim when the FC level is below shock level for your CYA level. But with just an OTO test, figuring that out may not be so simple.
 

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
12,177
SWSuburban Chicago, IL
#16
JasonLion said:
Those of us who are very active on the site and answer many questions generally prefer if you don't ask us questions via PM. Questions are best asked on the forum where others can benefit from the answers.

I feel that it is safe to swim when the FC level is below shock level for your CYA level. But with just an OTO test, figuring that out may not be so simple.
I just want to add I only suggested a PM because then you would get an email alert, where as the experts have so many posts to read thru they may not see this question immediately, and his party is today... That's the only reason I suggested it.

I agree, and enjoy reading the answers to other posts, I learn more that way....
 

Matt

Well-known member
Jun 5, 2008
126
#17
Personally, I wouldn't swim in 20ppm free chlorine... BUT I doubt it would really hurt you. It might cause some eye irritation. Different people have different sensitivities to chlorine.

You really want to bring that TA number down. I would try to lower your pH to around 7.2 or so and aerate to burn off TA. The pH will creep up, but keep adding acid to keep it down around 7.2 until your TA is down to 120 or so.
 
Jun 7, 2008
7
Illinois
#18
Added about 28 oz. of acid per the calculator, then aerated for many hours. Here are my numbers now:

TA: 180
CL: 5
PH: 7.4
TH: 310

Should I repeat another acid treatment to get the TA down more? Thanks for all your help, it is greatly appreciated!
 

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
12,177
SWSuburban Chicago, IL
#19
So glad to hear!

Did you have your party?

I would just keep an eye on your PH if it starts to drift up past 7.6 do it again, and aerate again.

You don't have a SWG, a spa or source of aeration do you? Those are the real concerns with TA still that high, the PH can get too high within hours.

So glad all is well....:)
 
Jun 7, 2008
7
Illinois
#20
Yes, we did have the party and after the brief rain shower, the sun came out and the kids went in!

No, I do not have an SWG. For aerating, we simply turned the return water jet so it was facing up. Seemed to work pretty well. I'll keep an eye on the PH. Thanks again! :-D