Pool Newbie - Looking to install inground pool

dbo_texas

Oct 8, 2019
Pflugerville, TX
Hi everyone,
We are looking to install a new in-ground pool in Austin, TX. We've received bids from several companies and have picked the one we wanted to go with. We were originally going to do a chlorine system w/ UV sanitizer, but after finding this site I think we are planning to switch to a SWG system. It seems like the vast majority on here don't think the UV system is worth it if it is an outdoor pool. Also, I see a lot of benefits to the SWG system. I realize it takes a little bit of work, but it seems less maintenance than the the chlorine alternative. I am a hands on person so testing and adjusting shouldn't be an issue. At this point, I'd like some general feedback about the SWG system components. I basically want to get an idea of cell size needed and opinions on the recommended equipment (this pool company uses Hayward equipment). The pool size is around 13K gallons, and they recommended a Hayward Aqua Rite T-Cell 3 (15,000 gallons). Pool will have sunshine most of the day (no trees in the backyard yet). I have read on this forum that something 2x the size of the pool might be better, so should I ask to upgrade to the T-Cell 9 (25,000 gallons)? The extra $200 seems worth it if I can reduce the pump run time. Can anyone comment on using a larger SWG cell vs. smaller one - what are the benefits (longer cell life? shorter pump run time?), any drawbacks besides addtional cost?

As far as the equipment, I'm assuming we need to get the Aqua Rite controller, the cell, and then the pool automation controller (they recommended the Hayward ProLogic). Any other major components needed for the SWG system? I was told the ballpark cost increase of going form a chlorine system w/ UV sanitizer + eCommand controller, to a Aqua Rite T-CELL-3 SWG system + ProLogic Controller would add about $2400 to the overall bid. Seems a little high to me just based on the standalone equipment costs after you pull out the UV & eCommand costs. Thoughts?

Regarding the TFP "method" - I've got some reading to do. I haven't gone through all the Pool School fundamentals yet, but will soon. Is the "method" explicitly outlined in the Pool School articles? Or is the combined knowledge from those articles generally referred to as "the TFP method"?

Reactions: Shirker
Welcome! I'm a newbie here also, having just finished our IG install. This forum is so helpful, especially going through a new build! I'm sure the pro's will jump in soon with their thoughts.

Larger SWG cell = less run time to produce the same amount of FC = longer cell life. A ‘properly sized cell’ for your gallons needs to run almost 100% of the time. A double sized cell would be half of the time, everything else being equal. The costs all pretty much wash out over time. Instead of buying jugs of chlorine all the time you spend a chunk upfront on the SWG. Spend even more on a bigger SWG and it will last longer before needing replacing. (With the exceptions of power surges or really bad pool chemistry).

Get the biggest cell you can. I have a 15,000 gallon pool and have a T-15 cell. That will let you run the pump less and the cell will last longer. The incremental cost should be pretty small. I would never own a pool without a SWG knowing what I know now.

The extra they are charging sounds high. I would negotiate a little. My SWG with the T-15 cell cost $1200 installed.

Read and follow the links...

Get a T-15 cell. Having excess chlorine generating capacity is good to have.

Note that the Prologic Loadcenter also replaces the electrical subpanel by the equipment pad you would likely have. You going to have a spa? Heater/chiller? Fancy pool lights? Water features?

Read and follow the links...

Get a T-15 cell. Having excess chlorine generating capacity is good to have.

Note that the Prologic Loadcenter also replaces the electrical subpanel by the equipment pad you would likely have. You going to have a spa? Heater/chiller? Fancy pool lights? Water features?

Yes, we will have a spa (7' diameter), a heater for the pool & spa (same unit will heat both), a single shear water feature on an 18" raised wall, one large pool light and a smaller one on the tanning ledge, and then a light in the spa. Lights will be LED multi-color.

Does anyone know the difference between the Hayward AquaRite AQR15 vs. the W3AQR15? Both use T-15 cells. I'm assuming one includes some additional items (test kits?) but I can't really tell...Hayward's website doesn't offer any clues that I can find. Google didn't yield many results either...

Does anyone know the difference between the Hayward AquaRite AQR15 vs. the W3AQR15? Both use T-15 cells. I'm assuming one includes some additional items (test kits?) but I can't really tell...Hayward's website doesn't offer any clues that I can find. Google didn't yield many results either...

It looks like the W3AQR15 is the online SKU and AQR15 is the in-store SKU. That way Hayward can identify products purchased online versus in-store.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks like the W3AQR15 is the online SKU and AQR15 is the in-store SKU. That way Hayward can identify products purchased online versus in-store.
I emailed Hayward. You are correct, but they come with different warranties. W3AQR15 can be purchased online by consumers and only comes w/ 1-yr parts only warranty. AQR15 can only be bought through a local dealer/installer and comes w/ 3-yr parts and 1-yr labor warranty. Otherwise they are identical.

Yes, Hayward and Jandy and to some extent Pentair have different warranties for equipment purchased online or not professionally installed then from pool stores and builders. You need to check on the specifc warranty for any equipment purchased online.

Been doing a little bit of research. Our pool builder was recommending getting the Hayward AquaRite AQR3 (T-5 cell) + ProLogic (probably the PL-PS-4) for the 13,000 gallon pool. I think we are leaning toward getting a T-15 size, so my next question: Would there be any reason NOT to go with something like the Hayward Goldline AquaPlus (item PL-PLUS)? This combines the AQR15 (T-15 cell) with a ProLogic controller functionality into an all-in-one solution. Seems like it has all the inputs/outputs we would need, and the price for that is cheaper than buying the two other items individually. Seems like a no brainer - anyone familiar with this system? Thoughts?

Also, we will likely want to add smartphone/tablet control, so I believe we need the buy the optional RF antenna (AQL2-BASE-RF) and gateway (AQ-CO-HOMENET). Anything else needed for this setup?

You will be fine with the AquaPlus if you want Prologic and the T-15 cell. Hayward does a lot of different bundling of their products to offer a product for every niche.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.