Pool Liner Wrinkles That "Won't Go Away"

kristinainaustin

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2013
Hello! I am interested in buying a home with an in-ground pool. I don't have any details about the pool other than it is not saltwater and the size is approximately 20x40. Sorry! I'm hoping I can get a little help/direction here, though, as the bottom of the pool liner is covered in wrinkles. I inquired about it and was told that because of the ground water in the area, the pool liner will always wrinkle, even if the liner is replaced (the house is on a hill, but near a river - if this makes any difference - several of the homes in the area have pools). Just wondering if there is any truth to the "forever" wrinkles or if this is something I could fix with a replacement liner and proper pool chemistry/maintenance... hopefully nothing too expensive as this may be a deal breaker. Thank you!

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
There is some truth to "forever wrinkles".

It sounds like the pool should have had well pits installed around it to drain water away and prevent it from getting behind the liner. Usually the ground water level problem is identified during construction and the well pits are installed then.

The wrinkles need to be smoothed out of a liner when the liner is installed. Once the pool is filled with water it is very difficult to get wrinkles out.

Pool water chemistry makes no difference in wrinkles.

If you buy the house and are willing to spend some money to put well pits in the drain the water away from the pool and have a new liner carefully installed you may be able to have a reasonably smooth bottom. The pool may also need some resurfacing of the vermiculite under the liner to smooth it out when the liner is replaced.

@jimmythegreek thoughts?

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
If there is a high water table and not way to remove the water from under and beside the pool then yes......wrinkles will be a problem. Allen has the major way to keep it from happening.

Kim:kim:

jimmythegreek

TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
Allen you explained it perfectly. Being on a hill should give you gravity drainage to help with water deviation. You can always have a wrinkle free pool, every pool should be. I have a similar setup on my personal pool and 3 sump pits does the trick. Depending on the pool layout you can possibly DIY some of it