Pool liner hanging funny?

eyedoc_01

May 30, 2020
Saint Louis MO
Hey all,

Finally got the right liner for our pool (tip: don’t try to install an 18x33 liner on a 27’ round pool).

It’s a unibead installing as a J hook. Started on west end and worked aroun 180 degrees. At that point one of us went back to where we started and began working around the other way so that we met at due south.

Sand wasn’t completely level due to a washout last week. West end is lower than East maybe an inch. I filled to 2-3” to work wrinkles out.

Our liner in the east end now looks like this. Can anyone explain the wrinkles at the base?we were thinking of taking off the rope rails and pulling the top of the liner to the right.

Attachments

heikejohn

Oct 18, 2007
Cedar Hill, TN
I watched our liner install, and asked why they do the way they did!!
They started on one side, walked to the other side and connected it there. Then they hooked up in between, walked to the opposite side and did the same. Then again to the in between places until it was all hooked up.
Picture a clock face: Start at 12, go to 6, then 3, then 9. Finish with 1:30, 4:30, 7:30, 10:30. Finish with whatever is left. That spaces out the liner and prevents bunching at the end.
Then, the added about 1 inch or so of water and pulled the liner into the sides to smooth out any wrinkles.
(While placing the liner, they collected water in a kiddie pool to have that 1" available right away.)
I was impressed!

Reactions: Teald024

eyedoc_01

May 30, 2020
Saint Louis MO
Ugh, I was afraid of that.

What would you do if you were me? Drain and rehang using heikejohn’s method?

If I just fill it with the wrinkles do you think that it will cause structural problems like stress in the liner?

ETA was able to take off two top rails and slowly rotate (pull) top of liner Clockwise. Wrinkles much better. If I hang another liner someday (assuming pool install doesn’t kill me) I’ll use the 8 points of the compass method.

Last edited: