Pool lights won't sync up

Apr 21, 2015
Wayne, NJ
I see this is a common problem - my lights seemed to work OK the first year (2016), but now they're just constantly out of sync. I follow the sync-up procedure from the Hayward docs (on-off, wait, etc), but it rarely works - one light is usually out of sync.

I'm using Hayward ColorLogic LED (12V) lights - two large ones in the pool, one small in the spa, and I have their 300W transformer. I found online a document from Hayward entitled "Controls & 12V Lighting: The Snubber Relationship" which claims "The snubber will keep the ColorLogic Lights from falling out of sequence with each other". The document also says "As of 2017 all Hayward transformers include a Snubber in the box", so I may have just missed this feature by a year, since I don't see a snubber installed already on my transformer.

The snubber part number from Hayward is GLX-HAL-XSNUB. I see this online from getpoolparts.com as Item No. GLXHALXSNUB for $25.99. However, when I zoom in on the picture it's clear that this part is actually just a Electrocube RG2031-6-6 snubber (0.1 MFD, 600VDC, 100 ohms, 1/2 watt). I can find this much cheaper on ebay so wondering if that will work just the same.

Has anyone tried using a snubber like this on older Hayward (or other) lights to see if this helps the sync up problem? I'd like to get this fixed before opening the pool this spring.

From what we've worked on, fixing your issue really depends on which light you have. There is a networked version of the Universal Color Logic 12V and a non networked. Solving your problem may hinge on which light or it (unfortunately) may be an issue with your lights that can't be fixed. If you haven't used this document, it may be worth the time. You'll see in the snubber info that it's not really needed for sync issues:

Color Logic Troubleshooting

Randy

Yeah, that second document is the one I looked at that said "The snubber will keep the ColorLogic Lights from falling out of sequence with each other". The troubleshooting guide also mentioned the snubber but only claimed it would help with GFCI problems. I do have a GFCI circuit, but I don't have problems with the GFCI tripping when I use the lights.

I have the non-networked lights, btw. I do see that the troubleshooting guide basically says if you can't get the lights in sync the ultimate step is to "Replace any lights that will not synchronize". That still might be what's needed in my case, but I think I'll order the snubber and see if it helps since it's a relatively cheap thing to try. I'll probably open the pool in April so I'll report back after I try it.

Just to follow up, I did install this snubber on the transformer, but it didn't seem to solve my light sync problems. It doesn't seem to hurt, but doesn't really help with syncing. I'll probably leave it installed though, since it's supposed to help with surges so it might help protect the lights from damage.

In the mean time I added a controller that I can use to program on/off sequences for the lights and using that I think I've got them reliably syncing. I came across another color logic document (here) which mentioned a warmup period. Adding the warmup helped, but I found I need to do two warmups with two resets to really make it reliable.

So my current way to get the lights sync'ed is now
  1. Turn on the lights for 65 seconds
  2. Turn off the lights for 12.5 seconds
  3. Turn on the lights for 65 seconds
  4. Turn off the lights for 12.5 seconds
  5. Turn on the lights and leave on for 25 seconds before trying to change colors.
So far that sequence seems to be doing the trick.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.