Pool Lights Usage

I have old school halogen lights in my pool & spa. I don't turn them on unless someone is swimming or if I have to go out to the pool at night to do something. I have thought about installing LED's but there have been enough reports of early failures that I would be pretty furious if I spent $1000 on a Pentair IntelliBright 5G only to have it die in year two (warranty would only cover 1 year). I have installed LED landscape lighting all around my home and I'm pretty appalled at the dismal lifetimes I get (some bulbs failing within a year of use) given how LEDs are always touted as having lifetimes so long that "they'll need replacing". My technical opinion is that the LED's themselves are probably just fine, it's the drive electronics that are cheaply made and prone to failure.

So I'll sit on the fence a little longer before converting to LED pool lights....

My technical opinion is that the LED's themselves are probably just fine, it's the drive electronics that are cheaply made and prone to failure.
YES! I hate this. sure the LED will last forever, but if the circuitry can't then stop marketing the long life.

I tried some GU10 LEDs and they have lasted less time than the halogens which have a horrendous length of life. I am about to cut all these fancy stainless steel fixtures out of my ceiling and just put in the large recessed cans :grrrr:

We have a pentair intellibrite and for the first couple of years we turned it on every nite and on the weekends sometimes we forgot to turn it off on the weekends perhaps too many adult beverages[emoji44]now we only put it on when we are swimming and occasionally at nite to enjoy while we are in the flamingo lounge. It is 8 plus years old. Hope this helps:cheers:

We have a pentair intellibrite and for the first couple of years we turned it on every nite and on the weekends sometimes we forgot to turn it off on the weekends perhaps too many adult beverages[emoji44]now we only put it on when we are swimming and occasionally at nite to enjoy while we are in the flamingo lounge. It is 8 plus years old. Hope this helps:cheers:

Wow, 8 years is great. If Pentair could guarantee that kind of performance and back it up with at least a 4 year warranty, I'd drop the $1,000 bucks a pool and spa light would cost me tomorrow.

But they can't, so ......

Here is my post when I installed the intellibrite light switch controller in the Flamingo Lounge.
Pentair Intellibrite light Controller
I purchased the Intellibrite after I built the pool and installed it on 10-31-09, cost was $325 on ebay.
I purchased the light switch controller and installed it 06-10-10, cost was $177 on ebay.

Wow, 8 years is great. If Pentair could guarantee that kind of performance and back it up with at least a 4 year warranty, I'd drop the $1,000 bucks a pool and spa light would cost me tomorrow.

But they can't, so ......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, I was just grabbing prices off of Amazon but I was using the unit with a 150' cord length (which is the most expensive at ~$600 for the pool light). I probably don't need that much cord but man I'd hate to pay less and come up short...

Yeah, I was just grabbing prices off of Amazon but I was using the unit with a 150' cord length (which is the most expensive at ~$600 for the pool light). I probably don't need that much cord but man I'd hate to pay less and come up short...

Hate to tell you this but my cord was 150ft. Trust me give it your last bid and don't bid anymore. Some of my items that I bidded on they told me that I did not get. Then a few days after the bid was over I got notification that I won the item. I know that it is a gamble and you have to be patient, at the end of the day you will still have your money in the bank and live to see another bid. [emoji2]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.