Pool Lights in 2022 - Pull new incandescent v. LED fixture?

aquaman

May 28, 2008
Pleasanton, CA
Hi!
Pool being drained and refilled. 17 yr old lights, I was going to replace all three lights since water will be down.
Replacing incandescent to the Pentair Intellibrite 5G is in their estimate per my request.
Pricey, and more importantly, reviews here kinda stink (2017-2020). I don't want to be sitting outside with company and wondering why suddenly the red doesn't work.

SO QUESTION:
Calm down and take a chance on LED and that the tech is more reliable in 2022?
Go for the 12V low voltage version for increased life span?
OR
Replace with same incandescent Pentair Amerilite? Another manufacturer? (assuming niches are standard for other brands).
Then I could buy LED screw in bulbs with or without color changing feature if my wife calls for it. At least I can go back to incandescent if there is an LED problem. Still don't know how you change colors in these bulbs, have not researched shortcomings.

History
My Pentair Amerilite 400W bulb fixtures are 17 yrs old.
The single small spa light has never burned out.
#1 of 2 pool lights has needed one bulb change and the housing has never taken on water.
#2 of 2 pool lights has been my nemesis - new bulb every 1-2 years, water can be seen in the housing thru the lens 3-6 months after I service it.
Actually had great fun sealing the back of both pool lights with the marine epoxy repair I found on TFP. But #2 is a bugger. New gasket, silicone, careful tightening of the lens, and then prayer. Eventually leads to cursing.:mad:

This week for the first time the circuit tripped.
I'm done.
The pool has not brought me joy since the kids are gone. If it electrocutes me I'm gonna be ******!
Pool has to be drained and refilled after 17 yrs -- so new light time is now.
Not to be pulled by me! (refer back to "no joy" comment).
So I will pay pool guy mark up and install.

Humor
BTW, TFP should have a board where people can just vent about owning a pool.
You are all such devotees, and I have benefited from this group greatly.
It has made for interesting problem solving for me (to ward off Alzheimer's) and when people ask me if I have any hobbies, the answer is "Managing 23,000 gallons of water"

But are none of you conflicted?:laughblue:

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe55
TFP should have a board where people can just vent about owning a pool.
Start a Coffee Bar thread and keep it within the rules. No one sided disputes, no politics/religion/profanity, etc and invite others to share. Any future rant is 'on topic' I've been in a great mood lately, but if I wanted to do it, that's how I'd do. 😁

Owning a pool isn't all roses and any rant you have would be shared by most your peers. Group therapy, if you will. Plus, with the power of the TFP collective, you might get some helpful tips to make you need to vent less next time. Everybody laughs, learns, and wins.

Want a starter rant ? How about 'the googely eye'.

Calm down and take a chance on LED and that the tech is more reliable in 2022?
It's the electronics that overheat and cause premature death. Some are junk and some are better but none of them last long enough to justify the price to me.

I'm building my 2nd soon and am sticking with the old skool 500W water checker 9000. There used to be a floor fault finder 2500 also, but they combined the 2 in the new 9000 model. Anywho if I feel the need at any point I can try one of the multicolored LED flood bulbs from Amazon. If it fails i will still have the trusted 9000 sitting in the garage until i feel like experimenting again.

*for the record, I absolutely LOVE all the colored pools shown here. The humidity and flying insects drive us indoors quick after a night swim. The pool light was rarely used for ambiance so I have no need to make mine as pretty as everyone else's at night.

LED pool lights are still junk. There has been little improvement. Your best and cheapest option is to get a standard pool light that can accept replaceable LED bulbs. 12V/120V makes little difference aside from how you feel about electricity and water. Some folks feel safer using a pool grade low voltage transformer for powering a light. Whatever floats your boat on that one.

Agree with @Newdude , we rarely use our pool at night and don’t need color shows. The pile of dead bug carcasses beneath my bug zapper is all one needs to know about sitting outside past sundown.

Thanks for the opinions!
NewDude:
>>I'm building my 2nd soon and am sticking with the old skool 500W water checker 9000. There used to be a floor fault finder 2500 also, but they combined the 2 in the new 9000 model.<<

This only brings up a water quality meter and a wire finder. What brand are you referencing?

I can have the pool person install an LED screw in bulb instead of incandescent yes? Or am I not clear about the retrofit aspect of LED bulbs? Am not particular about color vs white, just want easy...

What brand are you referencing
Ha !!! It was a joke as the 500W pentair light finds any water or floor fault.
I can have the pool person install an LED screw in bulb instead of incandescent yes?
Yup. Either are basically flood light bulbs, just with more watts/lumens. As long as the base of the bulb is the same, they fit.

Reactions: Newdude
I am in pleasantly pleased camp with our Hayward Color Logic lights. This will be year 10 with our two full size lights and no issues. Our pool is only open for 6 months though and the lights get used on average, twice per week. Though we certainly hear many complaints about them, we don't have failure rates available. But it's higher than you'd like I'm sure.

Reactions: Newdude
Pool company pulled new incandescent lights but would not insert any screw in LED bulbs stating liability
I can see them sticking their noses up at a no name brand electronic when they could have sold you much pricier stuff that they trusted. They aren't wrong not wanting to touch them. :ROFLMAO:

You are free to screw in whatever bulb you want once they leave.

We have a hayward fixture which had a standard bulb in it when we bought the place 3 years ago. We replaced it with this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JOFE4EO/ only because the only switch for it was at the electric panel at the back of the pool, on the other side of the pool fence so we never used it. This way we have the remote and can just leave the switch on. Though its pretty cool looking with some of the color patterns. Working strong still after 3 years.

Apparently they replaced the item I bought on amazon with a completely different item when I click it in my purchase history. I thought it was weird that it was 12v, I know mine was 120.

1651605146487.png

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool light history is virtually identical to yours, with the exception of water in #2 housing. I’ve replaced the main light once (maybe twice), the #2 light every couple of years, and never replaced the spa light even though I think it’s the same bulb as #2. Just noticed recently that the main and #2 are out again.

Due to bugs, we rarely even turn the lights on, so I don’t know what causes them to “burn out.” I’ve looked into the screw in LED bulbs, but my other 2 lights are those small, plug-in bulbs and there isn’t an LED option for those that I’ve found. I’m sticking with just a spa light until it goes out. I have to use a snorkel to replace the main light and it’s not worth the hassle. I can still swim without lighting the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.