Pool Lights Coverage and Type

poolremodelnewbie

May 30, 2020
Los Angeles
Doing a remodel. The pool had one light (pictured) and we are replacing the light (Pentair intellibrite LED color). We were told that the light wont be enough to cover the pool (white plaster/20X 40) with 4 LED color bubblers on the new baja shelf. Our only options to add would be another color intellibrite (pink circle placement idea) or 4 microbrites spread out (blue dots idea) but both options face the house. Thoughts on what is the best option. Thanks

Attachments

• pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 44
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    815.3 KB · Views: 44
I think long term you will be better off with the four MicroBrites. The fact that they are less bright will be less annoying facing the house.

Reactions: bdavis466
I think long term you will be better off with the four MicroBrites. The fact that they are less bright will be less annoying facing the house.
The pool is on the side of the house so it only hits a few windows. Plus we plan to leave them off unless we are using the pool. However, the light would face the spa and we dont want to be blinded (though it would be color and a darker color may solve this).
Will intellicenter be able to turn some lights off while leaving some lights on?
thanks

I agree, microbrites over the intellibrite

@ajw22 @bdavis466 thanks for your help!
How far will they shine? If they are on the back wall, the pool is about 19 across. Will they light all the way across the pool?
we have stairs on the other side, Im wondering if I place the lights on the pool wall as pictured across from the stairs (within the 19 feet) will the stairs get lit up or do I need to add a light by the stairs? Also am I better off keeping them all in line on the wall as pictured or should the baja light go in the center of the baja wall instead of the side wall as pictured (there will be 4 LED color bubblers on the baja). This is a last minute add so im trying to keep them all within one trench and conduit line if possible but will do more if needed to get the pool lit properly.
thanks!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have any doubt then add more lights. I've never heard anyone say that their pool was too bright and even if it was you can always turn off the offenders
The waterfall is going to go on the convex curve in the photo (pool 2). Should I put a microbrite on the pool wall under the waterfall? I want the waterfall to be seen at night. Im not sure the best way to accomplish that nicely. Thanks

What type of waterfall? If it's a real/faux rock waterfall then run low voltage wiring throughout for landscape lights. I make niches to hold and direct the lights out of PVC.
Hi @bdavis466
Its a pentair Magicfalls waterfall 6 feet custom convex curve that will be mortared into the pool wall under the coping. It will have turquoise glass tile behind it. There is a color led intellibrite near by (shown in photo) but with the convex shape most likely wont provide light. Thanks

Last edited:
Only if you wire them on individual circuits and relays.
@ajw22 thank you what is your opinion of using a color LED microbrite for lighting the 6 ft convex curve waterfall (photo 2 area)? The only option is flush to the wall underneath horizontally facing out (we have no bench or bump out to have it face up and its the deep end) or on the side wall near it. Thanks

@ajw22 thank you what is your opinion of using a color LED microbrite for lighting the 6 ft convex curve waterfall (photo 2 area)? The only option is flush to the wall underneath horizontally facing out (we have no bench or bump out to have it face up and its the deep end) or on the side wall near it. Thanks

I think you would need to have two lights, one on each side of the convex waterfall shining into the water. The challenge is figuring out the exact fall of the water and the placement of the light. It can be tough to get right with a non adjustable light head.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.