Pool lighting??

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Hi, I just found this forum and thought I'd try to get your opinion on this. We are building a 22x36 freeform pool and have one LED in the Spa and one LED in the deep end. Our concern is that we may need another light in the shallow end near the steps/tanning ledge. I asked PB several times they assured me that one light is good, but everything I read says otherwise. They want to charge $1180 for additional light. (They have dug pool and finished rebar.)
What do you all think?
Thanks in advance for any help!!

Hi, I just found this forum and thought I'd try to get your opinion on this. We are building a 22x36 freeform pool and have one LED in the Spa and one LED in the deep end. Our concern is that we may need another light in the shallow end near the steps/tanning ledge. I asked PB several times they assured me that one light is good, but everything I read says otherwise. They want to charge $1180 for additional light. (They have dug pool and finished rebar.)
What do you all think?
Thanks in advance for any help!!

I am have some of the same questions on our pool build. We have not started construction yet but our PB says one LED in the pool and one in the spa is enough as well. We are considering some mini LEDs to our tanning ledge and the pool steps. Pentair makes a mini LED called Globright. I am asking our PB about our options using the Globright lights. They will run on the same program as the Pentair intellibrite pool and spa lights.

I have one LED light in my pool and one LED light in my spa. I wish I would have added at least one more light to my pool to illuminate the shallow end and play shelf. I think you're being overcharged though.

I'm building 20x36. Very close to yours. Originally we had the same 1 universal color logic for the pool and 1 spa light. I asked several times and PB insisted 1 light will be fine. We changed the spillover spa to a stand alone and i added the second light anyway. I believe it's going to be a hayward colorlogic 320. And it's an additional $800. To add it later will cost a lot more

We have 2 lights and no spa but two sun decks. If I had it to do over I would have put a small LED light on the larger sun deck because that is the darkest area at night. We love having the lights on at night and use the different colors all the time. My lights are on from 8:45 to 10:30 each night. The other side of the coin is that lights are expensive to replace so give it some thought....there is a link to my build with night pics in my signature below...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are in the middle of out build. I would go with the Nichless jandy. They end up costing a little led than the traditional lights. We went with 2 30w color changers. The PB wanted to make sure we had enough light and ran a conduit for a 3rd under our sheer decent if we decide to add it later. We also have one 20w on our sun shelf and one in the spa.

Our pool is 18 x 40 free form and we did three led lights in the pool and one in the spa. We have one on the tanning ledge, one at the other end of the pool and one in the middle facing away from the house. All the pool builders we got quotes from had at least 2 or 3 in the pool.

I concur on two items. One full size light is probably not going to impress you. Also, the smaller nicheless lights are more flexible for even lighting and also likely where the future of pool lighting lies.

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions! We have our electrical inspection this week, so we needed to make a quick decision. We currently have one Jandy Watercolor Color LED in the deep end (and one in the spa) and decided to add Jandy Nicheless 30w LED to add extra light by the stairs. I feel much better about our lighting situation now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.