Shmairs

May 20, 2019
PA
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Recently, we had a pool light bulb that needed replacing. We have Hayward Halogen Astrolight Fixtures, with 120V 500W capabilities. The system is running on a Hayward ProLogic 16 with what we believe is a 12V converter that's plugged into a GCFI outlet. My husband replaced the bulb yesterday, and now it WON'T SHUT OFF! There are 3 pool lights in the pool. The 2 in the deep end are on the same prologic button that turns them on and off, and they work fine. The bulb in the shallow end works off another prologic button, and since my husband replaced the bulb, it no longer shuts off. It just dims. The bulb that the previous owner had in there was a 130v 300w bulb, but from the sticker on the fixture indicating differently, we went with the 120v 500w bulb to get the full potential. Could that be it?
I tried switching off the light through the 12v converter, then tried unplugging the converter entirely, and yet the bulb still stays on in the dimmed condition, so I don't think it's the converter. Could it be the GCFI outlet? The only thing I can do to shut it off completely is flick the main circuit board switch off for all the pool lights, but that means we can't go swimming at night. Could it be a bad circuit at the board? My fear is that if I leave all the lights on while people are swimming, and if there's ever a leak, (especially since my husband did the bulb replacement) someone will be electrocuted, since the power never really turns off. Who can I call to repair this Any ideas as to what may be going on, or what may need repairing?

All of your lights should be wired through that GFCI outlet. Hit the TEST button on that outlet and determine if all the lights go off. Then reset it and determine if all the lights come on. If that all works then the GFCI should be good. This also means it should protect any electricity going to the pool.
I am not aware how the wattage of the bulb would affect its capability to either be on or off.
Others will chime in as well. Let us know how the GFCI test does.

Well, I tested the GFCI, and the shallow end stays on, but dimmed. To top it off, now the lights at the deep end no longer work (as of last night). I reset the GFCI and they still don't turn on. 😫

Well, I tested the GFCI, and the shallow end stays on, but dimmed. To top it off, now the lights at the deep end no longer work (as of last night). I reset the GFCI and they still don't turn on. 😫
@zea3 Do you know someone that can assist with this electrical issue?

@zea3 Do you know someone that can assist with this electrical issue?
No. I've called electricians, and they say they won't touch pools. I've called pool guys and they say they are booked out for weeks! The whole summer is going to go by, and I'm afraid to let anyone go in the pool. I basically have been shutting down the entire system on the hottest days, so we can cool off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.