Pool light troubleshooting

kiwipool

Bronze Supporter
Nov 29, 2018
Wilmington, NC
Our pool light was on during a rainstorm a few weeks back, and tripped the GFCI. Troubleshooting time! (I have a bit of electrical background so know what to touch and when).
When I initially reset it, it came back on for a minute then tripped again, it did this a few more times, then started tripping immediately.

I took apart all of the junction boxes, the panel, and the switch today and could not find any water ingress, so I figured it was a coincidence that the rain was coming down at the time, and investigated the light.

The light was about half full of water, and clearly had been for a long time due to the "high tide' mark inside of it once disassembled. I dried it out and removed the bulbs. It still tripped.

I disconnected the pool light ground wires from junction box grounding pin and reset the GFCI. It no longer tripped, the light did not come on, but the whole lighting assembly triggered my no contact voltage detector from about a foot back. This indicated (I think) that the ground fault was coming from the light, or the supply line to the light. At no time did the main breaker on the panel trip during this process.

I'm thinking that at this point, that the whole light assembly needs replacing. That said, it seems like a fairly simple unit electrically so its frustrating that it may need replacement. It has two bulbs and a color wheel that rotates to change the color. I cant find any information about it online.

If anybody has some handy tips to salvage the unit, they would be appreciated.

pool light.jpgpool2.jpg

That fixture appears to have had some heat damage. Probably prior to the water getting in. The heating causes the epoxy (in the back of the fixture) to shrink enough to let water come in through the cord's grommet. Or the water came in through the lens gasket. By the looks of the epoxy, my money is on the epoxy for the water intrusion. Since those fixtures are now out of production, your only hope is to find someones old stock.

A quick search on ebay turned up this.

Pentair SAM color changing pool light #600016 50 Ft Cord | eBay

Although unless your heart is really set on this type of light, i would change the style to an incandescent or LED type. Your existing niche will accept either (Pentair product).

You have my sympathy. Just went thru similar challenges with my lights. You’re best bet is to replace the entire fixture. As mentioned the epoxy side is tricky to diagnose and older fixtures can survive a re-goop/reseal of the epoxy to get another 1-2 years of life, but you’ll be back in same spot soon enough. Pull another new LED or halogen fixture and you’ll be better off.
I also replaced my GFCI and the breaker itself since they were showing their age, but if your stuff is working, it’s fine. May cause more issues to preempt repairs, and you are best off to tackle the light and if it doesn’t present ground fault or short issues, then button it up and move on to dinner.

Thanks KD Pool guy!

I ended up snagging that light Pool Clown linked to for $225. Direct replacement and cheap. That way I have some parts if needed from the old one, and I'm guessing given the patina on it, that that model lasts a while (I hope at least).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.