Vero Beach, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have a pool that’s about 18 months old and I have the pool light listed in my signature. The light has a 120v to 12v transformer and it makes a buzzing sound abs the light seems to work normally. The thing is I have never had the light on while standing next to the pool electrical panel until today, so I don’t know if it’s always been like this. I have attached a sound clip link below, but keep in mind I held the phone about ten inches from the box. If you walk ten feet away you can still hear it, but just. Also, my neigbor has the same light and it doesn’t seem to make any noticeable noise. I know some transformers make noise, but do you think this is normal or excessive?

It isn't unusual for a transformer to hum somewhat. The older they get, the more noise they can make because the wires become loose and vibrate with the AC waveform. This vibration can sometimes remove some of the insulating coating around the wires and they can start to arc. However, the audio you posted seems very quiet so it doesn't really seem that bad.

There isn't a lot you can do so if/when it fails, replace it.

Thank for the replies. One more question, does anyone know how much wattage or amps one of these trasnformers draws? I have a spec-sheet but it only shows the wattage of the bulb.

A 12 volt 300 watt transformer will power 300 watts maximum, which is 25 amps from the secondary.

The input at 120 volts will require about 2.5 amps to 3.0 amps.

The input power and output power will be equal but the voltage on the output side is 1/10th and the current is 10 times.

For a typical 300 watt transformer, the input is 120 volts at 3 amps maximum, which is 360 watts and the output is 12 volts at up to 25 amps or 300 watts.

The transformer produces heat and you might lose 60 watts due to heat.

Complies with NEC Code 680.23 requirements for underwater luminaries.

680.23 Underwater Luminaires

(2) Transformers and Power Supplies

Transformers and power supplies used for the supply of underwater luminaires, together with the transformer or power supply enclosure, shall be listed, labeled, and identified for swimming pool and spa use.

The transformer or power supply shall incorporate either a transformer of the isolated winding type, with an ungrounded secondary that has a grounded metal barrier between the primary and secondary windings, or one that incorporates an approved system of double insulation between the primary and secondary windings.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use Volt brand transformers. They are very high quality and allow you to customize them with either mechanical or digital timers as well as photocells. Very easy to install and they will last forever.

Designed for easy installation, consistent performance and longevity, VOLT® transformers are the best on the market and the ideal choice for any low voltage outdoor lighting system.

All VOLT® transformers are backed by our lifetime warranty and are ETL listed to UL standards.

They each feature toroidal cores, weatherproof stainless steel cabinets, timer and photocell receptacles and magnetic secondary circuit breakers for each 300W common circuit.

Magnetic transformers use two coils to reduce the voltage from 120 volt down to 12 volts.

The primary coil carries the line voltage (108V to 132V).

The flow of electricity through the primary coil induces a magnetic field that creates a current in the secondary coil.

Since the secondary coil has 1/10th the number of windings, it creates a current with 1/10th the voltage.

There are two types of magnetic landscape lighting transformers.

These vary by the type of core:

Laminated/stacked cores (also known as EI type).

Laminated or stacked windings have sheets wrapped in copper wire that are then stacked or laminated together to make a core.

This is the more common, less expensive method for manufacturing a core.

These are less efficient, run hotter and are noisier than toroidal cores.

Toroidal cores.

These are one solid unit shaped like a donut and have the windings wrapped around the donut, in and out of the donut hole.

Toroidal cores are more efficient, experience less buzz and run cooler but are more expensive to make.

Lighting systems with relatively high loads - such as 10 or more fixtures - benefit the most from toroidal cores.

VOLT® toroidal cores are more energy-efficient, quieter and cooler than EI laminated-types.

This is especially important for larger capacity transformers.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise

About Transformer Capacity

On the secondary side (low voltage taps) of the VOLT® 300 Watt (12v-15v) Multi-Tap Low Voltage Transformer, for example, each circuit has its own magnetic circuit breaker (toggle switch) that is connected to a common tap (marked with a “COM” label).

These common taps can accommodate up to 300W (25A).

When the transformer capacity is less than 300W, the capacity will be equal to the transformer capacity.

Even though the capacity of each common tap is 300W (or transformer capacity if less than 300W), the National Electrical Code specifies that a circuit can only be loaded up to 80% of its maximum.

That means that the working capacity is 240W (or 80% of the transformer capacity is smaller than 300W).

Furthermore, it is important to account for the loss of current through the wire, which reduces the capacity by an additional 10%.

This means that the true optimal working capacity of a transformer is about 70% of the transformer’s total capacity.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
My house came with three old Mailbu transformers that were junk … hummed so bad I could hear them inside the house and could barely run a line of lights. I spent a lot of time replacing all the ancient fixtures to modern LED ones but the transformers still couldn’t keep quiet. So I bought all new VOLT transformers with digital timers and they have been running for over 9 years without a hitch. Quiet too. Very easy to install. They make great landscape fixtures too but they are definitely on the higher end of the price scale.

The Standard is UL379 and it can be “Listed” by any NRTL (Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory).

Power Units for Fountain, Swimming Pool, and Spa Luminaires

UL Standard 379, Edition 1

Edition Date: June 19, 2013

ANSI Approved: November 04, 2022

1 Scope

1.1 These requirements cover field-installed air-cooled transformers and dc output power supplies intended to supply fountain, swimming pool, and spa luminaires in accordance with Article 680 of the National Electrical Code, NFPA 70.

1.2 These requirements do not address designs that vary the magnitude of voltage or current on the output for signal or control purposes.

Designs that superimpose a signal on the output for control purposes area also not addressed.

This revision of ANSI/UL 379 dated November 4, 2022 is being issued to update the title page to reflect the most recent designation as a Reaffirmed American National Standard (ANS).

No technical changes have been made.
1672790996518.png
Certified to UL379 for pool & spa use

ETL Listed - Conforms to UL379 (Pool, Spa and Fountain Power Unit Standard)

Last edited:
Thank for the replies. One more question, does anyone know how much wattage or amps one of these trasnformers draws? I have a spec-sheet but it only shows the wattage of the bulb.

To expand on @JamesW's answer, the actual current/wattage correlates directly to the bulb wattage. If you have 1 24W light, the light is drawing 24W/12V = 2 Amps on the low-voltage side of the transformer, and the transformer is drawing 24W/120V = 0.2A on the high-voltage side. There's some loss at the transformer, but that's pretty close.

That's why the wires on the Intermatic transformers at least are thicker on the low voltage side (because the wire requirement is only based on the current flow and current is higher for the same wattage at lower voltage). It doesn't go well if you mistakenly reverse it and connect the "big" wires to the 120V input. Don't ask me how I know that...

I agree with others that buzzing isn't necessarily a functional problem, but if under warranty certainly worth getting replaced.

The Volt transformers use a toroidal transformer, which is a better transformer.

Below you can see a Jandy Aquapure Transformer, which is a toroidal transformer vs. a Hayward Aquarite transformer, which is a square type transformer.

In any case, I don't think that the Volt transformers are listed by a NRTL as "Pool and Spa" transformers certified to UL379.

Unless a pool or spa light or transformer say that they are certified for pool and/or spa use, then they probably aren't.
1672795052987.png

1672795106898.png

Last edited:
Transformer noise is due to mechanical humming generated by its core.

It is produced when a core material vibrates and impacts adjacent core parts.

Vibration is an effect produced by a phenomenon called magnetostriction.

This is the changing of a material‘s dimension upon magnetization.

Mechanical humming is more evident in transformer cores with loose components.

EI and UI cores are typically constructed with laminated iron cores.

These laminated cores can become loose over time, which causes them to vibrate and produce noise.

Moreover, their structure is not continuous.

They have air gaps between some of their limbs and yokes that can impact one another when vibrating.

These problems are not present in toroidal transformers.

Most toroidal cores do not use laminated cores and have a continuous structure with no air gaps.

Toroidal shapes are always better … just ask Homer Simpson -
Homer Simpson Donut GIF

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.