pool light ring removal

rhythm

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 2, 2008
116
0
55
Lake Forest, CA
#1
Hello all....

I'm thinking that when I attempted to kill off some mustard algae a few months ago I may have missed scrubbing some off behind the main pool light stainless ring that goes around the outside of the light glass. When I look down into the pool it almost looks like there may a yellow-color tinge that I see through the edges of the glass around the outside of it. Can I take the screw(s) out and remove the metal ring around the outside of the light without doing any harm, and would it be pretty simple to get it back on correctly? I'd like to remove it and check for the any yellow algae on the plaster behind the ring.

Thanks,
Greg
 

Denali

Well-known member
May 1, 2008
70
0
#2
If you have a light that has one screw at the top of the ring then no, you can't just remove the ring. If you remove that screw the entire light fixture can be removed and brought up on deck. I would just use a pool brush and scrub the algae.


rhythm said:
Hello all....

I'm thinking that when I attempted to kill off some mustard algae a few months ago I may have missed scrubbing some off behind the main pool light stainless ring that goes around the outside of the light glass. When I look down into the pool it almost looks like there may a yellow-color tinge that I see through the edges of the glass around the outside of it. Can I take the screw(s) out and remove the metal ring around the outside of the light without doing any harm, and would it be pretty simple to get it back on correctly? I'd like to remove it and check for the any yellow algae on the plaster behind the ring.

Thanks,
Greg
 

rhythm

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 2, 2008
116
0
55
Lake Forest, CA
#3
Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that I couldn't just remove the ring, but wanted to check for sure. I'm not sure I want to take the light out for fear that I might have problems getting it back in just right. The metal ring doesn't form a watertight seal against the plaster, so there may be a little algae on the plaster behind the ring. I don't think I can get a brush of any kind in there, though, if I don't remove the ring. I'll see what I can do. Perhaps when superchlorinating this time I can keep the chlorine level up for a longer period of time than I did before, and I will eventually kill it all off if there's some stubborn stuff that I can't get at with a brush.

Thanks,
Greg
 

stever

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 25, 2007
285
0
Escondido, CA (near San Diego)
#4
I'd take the light out and clean behind if you see algae behind. The light (usually) is watertight and designed to be taken to the surface to have the bulb replaced. The seal is in the lens/light. There should be enough cord coiled behind the light to raise the light to the surface. DO NOT turn the light on out of water, as it counts on the water to cool it.

Steve