Apr 29, 2016
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,

I noticed a few months ago when I went to plug in my cell phone to the GFCI outlet below the pool light switch, that the GFCI was tripped and would not reset. So I gave the pool light switch a try and, sure enough, the light does not turn on either. What is the order of operations to determine where the problem lies with the tripped GFCI so that I can get everything working again and can stop worrying about swimmer electrocution?

Chances are your light gasket has failed. Pull the light out and get it up on the deck and take a look. Should be enough wire to get it up there.

My light is wired through a GFCI outlet also, first power hits outlet, then it send power to lights. Could be a bad GFCI outlet. I would turn off power from source going to pool equipment box, test that it is dead. Then tighten all the lugs on the common bar(usually white wires), then tighten wires on grounding bar(usually green wires), and finally all lead wires going out of breakers.
***Only try this if you know what you are doing electrically.

The way mine is wired. I believe, if lights were in off position, the outlet is receiving power, it should reset. Or I could remove 2 leads going to lights and try to reset GFCI.

Most all GFCI's will not reset if there is no power to them. first thing I would check is the power source to the GFCI (breaker/fuse). If that is good, I would suspect that the GFCI did it's job and I would start looking for the fault. As was mentioned, you may have a failed gasket in the light itself. After seeing how a lot of nightmares are wired up over the years with personal experience and stuff I see on this forum, it would be hard to troubleshoot this without seeing pictures of how everything is wired up.

There is an amber indicator light on the GFCI outlet itself next to the "Reset" button, so it should be powered. I will hopefully get to check the light today or tomorrow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.