Pool light faceplate

jmlodin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
Good question! I just looked at our papers from the company that installed the pool and all it says is "300 watt standard light". My husband was planning trying to remove it later tonight to take a closer look. What kind of electrical problem?

JohnT

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
jmlodin said:
Good question! I just looked at our papers from the company that installed the pool and all it says is "300 watt standard light". My husband was planning trying to remove it later tonight to take a closer look. What kind of electrical problem?

Usually improper grounding or a missing or loose neutral.

jmlodin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
The information about the brand is American Products Pool Light

AMP78434100 Light

AMP78232400 Niche

AJGMT300 Transformer

We just removed the light and there was SO much black gunk that just came floating into the pool. It is also all over the back of the light and the niche looks totally lined with gunk. Any ideas??

Attachments

socalpool

Dec 8, 2009
What does the power cord look like? Sometimes the cord will disintegrate and get black crud all over. Another possibility is black algae.

PoolGuyNJ

TFP Expert
May 20, 2007
South Central NJ
That looks like either a low pH condition over an extended period or, as was mentioned earlier, an electrical issue such as a bad ground or neutral. Note the extent of the pitted metal parts. That leads me to consider a low pH condition as the more likely culprit.

Scott

jmlodin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
It is definitely not low PH unless something is wrong with my Taylor test kit because I check that nearly every day and it is usually 7.6. I guess I need to get the electrical checked out.