Pool leaking around light enclosure

rgraves08

May 18, 2020
Indiana
Hi all,

We have an inground pool that installed early 90s. We moved into the house a few years ago and the light has never worked. This spring i removed the light cover and found the electrical cut off and no fixture or bulb, just the cover attached with some caulking around it.

I used the existing wiring to pull through my new cord for the light and installed it easily.

I've now noticed pretty significant leaking with the pool dropping 2in roughly per day. Wondering if this is best fixed by draining down below the light and looking for any areas that need sealed. Or is there a product i should use underwater to fix?

mas985

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Pleasanton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Is that a dry niche? If so, that is pretty unusual as most light niches are wet niches, meaning they are meant to be flooded. What kind of cover was over the niche?

They may have abandon the niche because it was leaking. Most likely it is a broken conduit.

rgraves08

May 18, 2020
Indiana
The cover looked like and was installed like the orignal light fixture, but without the bulb/fixture installed anymore. I too would assume its a wet niche.

My initial thought was to drain the water back down below the light, and put some caulking around the exit into the conduit, then also around the fixture itself.

But was wondering if there was any good options to use while submerged.