Pool is nearly filled up...now to the equipment

svtcobra

Dec 3, 2019
Chicago, IL
The pool company is coming soon and one thing they mentioned is I should move the equipment since its downhill from the pool. House/pool is at the top and the pool equipment is downward the hill.

Anything I should look out for once we test the equipment?

Attachments

• 20200623_172254.jpg
    20200623_172254.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 20200623_150117.jpg
    20200623_150117.jpg
    620.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 20200623_150138.jpg
    20200623_150138.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 122
I see an ionizer on the equipment pad and an emerald green pool. Check for copper. You may have to replace the water in the pool and possibly attack staining.

Reactions: svtcobra
OK -- that is good. I would remove the ionizer. The color is most likely iron ----- gotta love those metals.

OK -- that is good. I would remove the ionizer. The color is most likely iron ----- gotta love those metals.
Thanks I'll mention it to the pool guy. I just don't want to be ripped off when they start to turn on the equipment and say this and that is leaking or this and that is not working.

On Sunday before the pool was drained he tried to scare me and said "nothing's working I try to flip the switch and I wanted to see if the equipment would turn on but nothing is turning on". I told him I turned off the circuit breaker to the pool That's why nothing's turning on.

It seems some of these companies are trying to see how much I know etc and this site has been very helpful.

Reactions: mknauss
It appears you have a SWCG, so you will need to add salt.

Do you have your test kit yet? I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

It appears you have a SWCG, so you will need to add salt.

Do you have your test kit yet? I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.
Yes I bought the TF 100 and have it ready to go. Only one company mentioned that I have a ancient salt something but this new company that I'm using now I never said anything about salt.

Once we iron out the equipments I'll go ahead and update back because that should be the first step right to make sure nothing is leaking? Then after that post some test results?

Good idea to check for leaks.

Take a close up picture of the SWCG. You will want to replace that if at all possible. Much easier than adding liquid chlorine every day to the pool.

Attached photos but honestly I'm not sure what is the salt generator or ionizer?

Attachments

• 20200623_183434.jpg
    20200623_183434.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 20200623_183440.jpg
    20200623_183440.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 20200623_183447.jpg
    20200623_183447.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 20200623_183508.jpg
    20200623_183508.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 91
  • 20200623_183547.jpg
    20200623_183547.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 90
The blue thing is a copper ionizer. You did not take a picture of the SWCG. It is after the heater. Appears to have a clear housing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The blue thing is a copper ionizer. You did not take a picture of the SWCG. It is after the heater. Appears to have a clear housing.
Sorry didn't get a notification of this post. Wanted to report back that everything turned on the equipment wise however there is a leak in a pipe from the pool to the pool equipment. The pump was gurgling quite a bit and wasn't filling up fully.

so now I have to dig to find out where the leak is. :( The pool guy suggested that once we find where the leak is we can disconnect spa flex and connect the pipes over the ground as a temporary basis just to get the pool up and running versus digging them deeper. he thinks the leak may be caused because there are so many tree roots in the area have you ever seen this before?

there is a leak in a pipe from the pool to the pool equipment.
The equipment pad is well below the level of the pool. Do you have a constant leak?

Air at the pump can have many causes. Low water level, stuck weir door in the skimmer, gasket failure at the pump basket, etc.

The equipment pad is well below the level of the pool. Do you have a constant leak?

Air at the pump can have many causes. Low water level, stuck weir door in the skimmer, gasket failure at the pump basket, etc.
Yes the equipment pad is down the hill from the pool. He ran the equipment for quite some time and it was not filling up. He thinks we lost about an inch of water at the pool but we cannot see where the leak is. The water could be running down the hill somewhere. He also checked both skimmers one is sucking air and the other one didn't appear to be.

OK -- but if you have a leak that is down hill from the pool, it will leak all the time. An inch of water in your pool I suspect would be 500 or more gallons of water. Quite a bit.

OK -- but if you have a leak that is down hill from the pool, it will leak all the time. An inch of water in your pool I suspect would be 500 or more gallons of water. Quite a bit.
we dug by the swimming pool equipment pad yesterday and saw which direction the pipe is going. so today I will follow that and continue to dig to see if I can find the leak area. Does this sound like a good plan?

Sure. But 500+ gallons of water in a short time frame would be seen.

The leak should be occurring whether the pump is on or off if downhill from the pool.

Sure. But 500+ gallons of water in a short time frame would be seen.

The leak should be occurring whether the pump is on or off if downhill from the pool.
Oh I see because yes the pool water when it was filled up and none of the equipment was turned on did not show any signs of leaking anywhere.

The pool guys coming back tonight should I just mention what you told them as potential problems versus myself and digging for hours? :)

So the pool company is saying one of the pipes has a small air leak. About 9 ft up the hill away from the equipment there is some odd water spots near a tree which I cut down. We don't know where the water is coming from but we did dig around near the pool and found some piping and notice that some of the connections were polypipe then connected to a spa flex. So maybe there was patchwork done in the past?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.