Pool is in great shape, great chemical levels but, algae in the bottom - still

Jul 4, 2020
Arizona
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,
I have been following TFP for a year now, and all is well, however I have been noticing some green algae in the bottom of my pebble in-ground pool, even though my chemicals are all in the recommended range except for TA which is slightly higher. I also did the OCLT and that passed; almost no FC is lost. Here is more info:

Pool size: 11,000 gallons
State: AZ
CYA: 50
FC: I keep it at minimum 4-5 and raise to 8-9 ppm at night
CC: 0
TA: 90
pH: 7.5
CH: 350

I use liquid Chlorine after using tablets for 5-6 months during the winter, it raised my CYA and my pool wasn't looking as clear as I want it to be, so I emptied it more than half and put new water in, then went back again to liquid chlorine. I have a variable speed pump, I run it for 8 hours a day, 4 of those are on 3,000 RPM and the rest on 1500 RPM. I backwash when gauge hits 15 psi, I brush 4-5 times a week and every time I brush, there is algae in the bottom.

Please note, pool is super clear, like crystal clear, but I am just struggling to get rid of the remaining algae in the bottom. What do you recommend me to do? I really hate to use the "Shock" products as I want to only keep it to Chlorine and some acid as needed.

I appreciate the help, in advance!

Welcome to TFP.

Do you have a pool cleaner?

Algae on the bottom can mean you have organics blowing into the pool which the chlorine is killing. Getting dead algae on the bottom of the pool for the pool cleaner to suck up is just part of the cycle.

Welcome to TFP.

Do you have a pool cleaner?

Algae on the bottom can mean you have organics blowing into the pool which the chlorine is killing. Getting dead algae on the bottom of the pool for the pool cleaner to suck up is just part of the cycle.
Thank you! What’s a pool cleaner? Do you mean pool vacuum? I do have small pop ups in the bottom, so I still need to use a vacuum to suck up the algae?

Could be a pool suction vacuum or could be a robot pool cleaner.

Sounds like you have an In-Floor Cleaning system (IFCS). Are you sure your IFCS is working at maximum efficiency?

@proavia is in your area and helpful with IFCS.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.