Pool is icing up (North Texas) - Advice?

Jun 25, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
Hello everyone,

I have already read through a lot of the threads regarding the weather we are having now in North Texas. We have an underground liner pool and ice has already formed on top of the pool. We currently have electricity and the pump is running. However, the high temperatures are only supposed to be in the teens the next 3-4 days, and we have a 70 percent chance of snow the next two days. What do you all suggest we do?

1. Continue to run pump?
2. Shut down pool?
3. If you all recommend we shut the pool down OR in case we lose electricity, can someone please post a step by step guide on how to shut the pool down? Specifically, we need to know if we should drain the pool below the skimmer and/or returns??

Thank you all for any help you can provide! :)

You don’t need to drain. But with a liner pool do not disturb the water once ice begins forming. The sides of ice can be sharp and tear the liner. Leave the pool alone with ice in it.

Remove all drain plugs you can find. No heater?

Turn off the breaker to the pool. If you have antifreeze, preferably RV/Marine, fill bottle 1/2 full or use water. You can cut up pool noodles too and use instead. Know you've done what you can and relax a tiny bit and ride this thing out.

Thank you for your reply Lilypad. My hubby had a 1/2 bottle of antifreeze and we put the bottle itself into the skimmer. I guess we have done all we can for now. If there is anything else anyone suggests please let me know. Temp was -2 when I woke up this morning, but it is up to 1 degree now. 😳😩

Reactions: Lilypad
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.