Pool is cloudy....chemicals seem fine.

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
After running my S200, I realized my pool is still cloudy. I checked the FC, it was at about 3 with a CYA of 50.
I measured TA and that was at about 65. PH was at 7.4

So last nite I added chlorine and a bunch of baking soda. (I followed the pool calc)
So now...
FC is at 5
TA is at 90
PH is at 7.2

Pool is clean, but cloudy.
Suggestions ?

I've already slammed for 8 days when I opened the pool---there is next to no Algae in the pool...I think it may be overkill to slam for that no ?
By the way, I do have a chlorinator, and I know pucks often contain copper. Are there any that DONT contain copper ?
Leslies don't. That's what I use on vacations.

But you better realize that chlorinating with pucks will only raise the CYA which in turn will make it even harder to eradicate the cloudiness? A SLAM doesn't have to take 8 days if you catch it early enough. As soon as you pass the three tests you're done. Could be as soon as tomorrow morning if you get right on it.

So if you’re going through a SLAM and putting in TriChlor tabs, it will always be a battle against cloudiness? If I take out the tabs, the cloudiness will start to dissipate?
I’m going to keep an eye on the weather and the next time we are supposed to get rain, I’ll drain about three inches (not hard in Houston!)

So if you’re going through a SLAM and putting in TriChlor tabs, it will always be a battle against cloudiness? If I take out the tabs, the cloudiness will start to dissipate?
I’m going to keep an eye on the weather and the next time we are supposed to get rain, I’ll drain about three inches (not hard in Houston!)
Let us say you start at 50 CYA and 5 FC with a 20,000 gallon pool. (I would use your volume, but I don't see it listed.) SLAM level is 20 FC. To raise FC from 5 to 20 using trichlor requires 44 oz. Moving down to Effects of Adding Chemicals, 44 oz of trichlor in 20,000 gallons raises FC by 15 and CYA by 9.2. With the limitations of the test, 59.2 will show as 60 CYA. Which means you never reached SLAM level. To raise it from 20 to 24 FC requires another 12 ounces, which added anther 2.5 CYA. The FC gets depleted by killing algae and by sunlight. The CYA remains. Each time you add more trichlor, you raise the amount of FC you need to maintain. You're caught in an endless spiral that will only end when you replace the pool water and start over. More explanation here: How to Chlorinate Your Pool - Trouble Free Pool

Reactions: splashpad
Ugggggh. Yes I see where that has been the issue. I just pulled the tab float out, I have no problem adding liquid chlorine and a sock.
I’m trying out an above ground pool, thought it had a signature. About 4800 gals, but recently rain probably puts it at 5000 gals.

OK---my pool gallons are 21,120 I will add to my signature. 16x32 --3.5 ft shallow end and 7.5 ft deep end.
So I tested all the chemicals this morning.

I have
4.5 FC
0.5 CC
CYA 45
TA 100
PH 8.2 (high...pretty pink)

I accidentally ran the filter all night, the pool does look clearer as a result but not perfect.
The family wants to swim this weekend (not a ton else to do while we are social distancing) , so I am a bit reluctant to start slamming.
At what chlorine level can people swim ?

Edit: I just added some chlorine from Walmart...Jacked it up to 9 which is better for my CYA level.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.