Pool in Phoenix AZ high CYA help!

Apr 18, 2017
Litchfield Park
I have in ground plaster pool 11k CYA 180 ph fine losing chlorine quickly unfortunately used tabs in floater tried Bio-active CYA reducer 2 bags slight difference too hot to drain pool now I think was drained 1 1/2 years ago. Leslies keeps saying add shock I am water gets cloudy and then clears next day but can't maintain chlorine level. I am thinking shock with liquid bleach any ideas what to do at least use pool through summer until winter when Temps drop and then will drain and start over.

Hey frantz,

Welcome to TFP,

We can help, but you'll need to get your own testing kit, and be able to make sense of what it's telling you. Knowledge is key to that, but its all here, and we will help you learn it. But, choosing to mix our advice with theirs will only add frustration for you. We don't want that to happen.

To clear the pool you'll need to SLAM it, but at your Cya level its nearly impossible. It just takes an unreasonable amount of Chlorine. You really need to get that number down, and the only reliable way is to drain, and not add any more shock like Dichlor or Trichlor. You may not want Cal-Hypo shock either as most Southwest water has high hardness. Why can't you exchange any water right now?

Can you have a Reverse Osmosis company come out and do their magic on your pool water? It is like dialysis for pools, and will lower all your chemical levels yet without draining the pool. You can do this any time of the year.

Yippee :flower:

I found a company here in Phoenix area that just started doing RO like the ones that are offer in CA. I reached out to get a quote for my 18k pool and was quoted over the phone $650 said that it would only take a day. Have not used them yet so can't comment of level of service. I do not know if I am allowed to post the company name, if a moderator could chime in.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I found a company here in Phoenix area that just started doing RO like the ones that are offer in CA. I reached out to get a quote for my 18k pool and was quoted over the phone $650 said that it would only take a day. Have not used them yet so can't comment of level of service. I do not know if I am allowed to post the company name, if a moderator could chime in.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

There are times when it's allowed, and this could be a case where it is. Go ahead, but see rule #6 in the rules section for details.

Too hot to drain because the plaster might shrink and crack?

If that is your fear, you can still safely do a partial drain and refill several times to lower the CYA. You can also drain and refill by setting up a yard sprinkler on a garden hose to keep the plaster pool sides moist while the drain and refill is taking place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.