Pool heater - suggestions??

mzogy

Jul 5, 2012
We are having our pool installed next week. We didn't get a heater yet but are thinking we may want one. The place we bought the pool sells Hayward 150FDN (we need 150,000 btu) natural gas heater. Of the reviews I've seen for Hayward, they aren't the best but I don't see any for this exact one. Any suggestions? We live in IL so it would surely extend our pool season. Also - if we end up with a SWG down the road, are there heaters better for working with salt water?

There are some heaters that use a different metal in the exchanger that is less prone to issues with the SWG ... of course I can not think of them right now. Hopefully someone else will be along with more information.

You could buy a gas heater with the cupronickel heat exchanger but you can also ruin it as well if you do not maintain your pools chemicals properly. In a uncared for pool, a cupronickel heat exchanger will last a little longer before it leaks. As for reviews, everyone has something bad to say about every product out there. As long as you take care of your chemicals correctly and even remove the heater at the end of the season, guessing you are getting an above ground pool since you're in IL, then it could last a long time.

Titanium heat exchangers are mostly found in heat pumps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.