Pool heater is working but not heating water

Aigs92

Jan 11, 2023
Orlando, FL
I’m hoping someone here might have some good advise for figuring out why my pool heater is not heating the water.

I have a Jandy JXi gas pool heater (similar to the one pictured). The heater turns on and fires up. The blower is working and there is heat coming from the exhaust (it’s acting the same as it always has). But, the water coming out of the jets and water fall is not in the least bit hot. Almost as if the water is flowing through an internal bypass (there is no external bypass) and not through the heater. This is where I’m stuck.

What would cause this and how would I troubleshoot it to determine the cause? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!4EC13408-1170-4A3C-A3D6-156920B24511.jpeg

Welcome to TFP.

What you are describing cannot happen. If the heater is on it is generating BTUs of heat. The heat MUST be absorbed by the water or go up the exhaust. If the heat is not absorbed by the water the heater will quickly overheat and its safety mechanisms will shut it down. Otherwise your heater would have melted by now.

What BTU rating is the heater and how many gallons are in your pool?

What is the GPM flow though your heater?

Depending on those answers the temperature rise at the pool retmay not be much but the BTUs are getting into the pool.

Is this pool new to you?

Thank you for the warm welcome! The pool is fairly new to me (1 year) and it’s my first pool so I’m green behind the ears to say the least.

That was my first thought, “this doesn’t calculate”. I will address a few of your comments. First, I didn’t leave the heater on for more than about 5 minutes because I thought the same thing; I don’t want to burn it up. The exhaust got hot to the touch pretty quick.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure of the BTU rating (I can’t seem to find the actual model number of my unit) but all of the models that look like this one have a GPM min of 30 and max of 100.

In the year we have had the home / pool, we have used the heater dozens of times, mostly when it’s pretty cold out. We have a waterfall as well, and then the heater is on, the water coming out of the waterfall is hot (my kids congregate around it for this reason). But now, with all other factors the same, the water coming out is still cold. I am beyond puzzled.

How many gallons are in your pool?

@PoolGate where is the BTU rating label on the JXI heater?

Thank you for the warm welcome! The pool is fairly new to me (1 year) and it’s my first pool so I’m green behind the ears to say the least.

That was my first thought, “this doesn’t calculate”. I will address a few of your comments. First, I didn’t leave the heater on for more than about 5 minutes because I thought the same thing; I don’t want to burn it up. The exhaust got hot to the touch pretty quick.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure of the BTU rating (I can’t seem to find the actual model number of my unit) but all of the models that look like this one have a GPM min of 30 and max of 100.

In the year we have had the home / pool, we have used the heater dozens of times, mostly when it’s pretty cold out. We have a waterfall as well, and then the heater is on, the water coming out of the waterfall is hot (my kids congregate around it for this reason). But now, with all other factors the same, the water coming out is still cold. I am beyond puzzled.
I might just be relative to when you previously felt of it. If you started with 50-degree water, with size of heater and flow at best case, you would only get output water about 65-degrees. That's kinda hard to discern in difference by just hand-feel. Plus, even that is blending as it exits.

Last edited:
I might just be relative to when you previously felt of it. If you started with 50-degree water, with size of heater and flow at best case, you would only get output water about 65-degrees. That's kinda hard to discern in difference by just hand-feel.
I see your point; I did not think of that and don’t have a good reference point to go by (I never pay that close attention to the water temp). The water temp is at 66 today (I’m in central Florida). I guess my question would be, in a gas heater, if water goes in at say 66, what temp would it come out at? On a winter day (given a Florida winter day), I can heat my hot tub to 100 degrees in just over an hour.

I see your point; I did not think of that and don’t have a good reference point to go by (I never pay that close attention to the water temp). The water temp is at 66 today (I’m in central Florida). I guess my question would be, in a gas heater, if water goes in at say 66, what temp would it come out at? On a winter day (given a Florida winter day), I can heat my hot tub to 100 degrees in just over an hour.
My hot tub is 550 gallons (bout your sized), and I could heat from 60's to 104 in about 30 minutes with 400K heater. So, you might have smaller heater at play. But, when I first would run it for that, exit water from jets would not start to even register heat on my hand for a good bit beforehand. Maybe start to notice warmth after 10 minutes or so, then, it starts to register a bit faster and faster by feel alone. As for actual heat to spa, the temp climb for entire volume is at a pretty constant rate.

Reactions: Aigs92

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think my label was under the top cover. Assuming you have the 400K BTU per hour unit and making a guess on the flow rate range your water temp from inlet to discharge of the heater should increase about 5-15 deg F. Water coming out won't feel hot. Temp rise for the pool of 1-2 deg/hr is typical. Let it run a couple hours and check the pool temp before and after. Sounds to me that it's working based on your description above.

Chris

Reactions: Aigs92
Assuming an 84% efficiency, a 400,000 btu/hr heater will deliver 336,000 btu to the water in 1 hour.

At 40 gpm, the total amount of water going through the heater in 1 hour is 2,400 gallons or 20,016 lbs.

That will create a temperature rise from inlet to outlet of 16.8 degrees Fahrenheit. Assuming an inlet temperature of 58 degrees.

Gpm.....rise....outlet

Last edited:
A 400,000 btu/hr heater with an efficiency of 84% transfers 336,000 btu per hour to the water.

At a minimum required flow of 40 gpm, there will be 2,400 gallons of water (20,000 lbs.) that receives the heat.

Each btu raises the temperature of one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit.

336,000 btu into 20,000 pounds of water is 16.8 degrees of temperature rise (336,000/20,000).

So, the maximum temperature rise you should ever have is 16.8 degrees Fahrenheit.

Higher flow results in a lower temperature rise.

50 gpm = 13.44 degrees temperature rise.

60 gpm = 11.2 degrees temperature rise.

70 gpm = 9.6 degrees.

80 gpm = 8.4 degrees.

30,000 gallons is 250,200 lbs of water.

336,000/250,200 = 1.343 degrees per hour pool water temperature rise.

You also have to account for the heat lost, which increases as the water temperature increases, especially if the pool is not covered.

If you lose 1 degree per hour, your net gain is only 0.343 degrees per hour.

James,

Thanks much for your usual complete math and science. I noticed they had an enclosure which was very similar to my installation. So the math should be similar. I'm guessing the enclosure greatly reduces wind velocity over the water and thus heat loss by evaporation also. I typically got 1-1.2 deg/hr.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.