Pool Heater Hayward H150 vs Raypak R156 for in-ground pool

Rpooler

Jul 6, 2020
Northwest PA
Hello,

I am looking to replace a pool heater which has not been used in years.

The heater being replaced is a Hayward H150.

I was doing some research and cannot seem to understand the definition of an "above ground pool heater " vs " in-ground pool heater".

The two models in the subject are the ones I am looking at, the H150 says above or inground, the Raypak description says above ground. Although, the Raypak pool suppliers say in-ground in the description along with some reviewers stating they are using it with an in-ground pool.

Aside from brand, price, and slight efficiency difference, they both are 150k btu.

Pool surface is 400sq ft.

We have direct sunlight about 9 hours a day and use the solar cover every night which has been pretty good and we are happy with, just would like to add a heater for a little extra warmth here and there.

So my question is:
Can someone help me understand the difference in a pool heater designed for in-ground and one for above ground?
Specifically, is there a technical reason from how the units are designed?

Thank you!

Welcome to TFP :)

It really is just about size of the heater.. A 150 is small for a pool and will take much longer to heat than a 400,000 heater... So they "say" the smaller heaters are for above ground pools because they are smaller than inground :)

Reactions: Rpooler
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.