Pool heater causes cloudy water from jets?

Mlg8303

May 7, 2021
Albany NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello, this is our first full summer with our pool. 18x36 vinyl liner rectangle, Hayward VS pump, Hayward heater, Aquarite SWG system. It’s still in low 60s here so pool is open but we’re not actively using it yet. I started the heater up today (pool was opened for us and balanced), and when the heater is on, the jets produce a cloudy white water and the pool gets a filmy look on top. When I turn off the heater it goes away. I’m at 60% for my salt generation percentage and I just did a quick stick test and it looks like I have no chlorine (chemicals are getting balanced next week). Pool is otherwise very clear. Any ideas?

Welcome to TFP.

We think stick tests are worthless and should be chucked in the garbage.

Do you have a proper test kit like the TF100 Test Kits or Taylor K-2006C? Also if you have a SWG you should have the K-1766 Taylor Salt Test

If you have no chlorine you should be pouring in 5ppm of liquid chlorine daily until you get a test kit and your SWG running.

Once you get your test kit post your test results.

Hello, this is our first full summer with our pool. 18x36 vinyl liner rectangle, Hayward VS pump, Hayward heater, Aquarite SWG system. It’s still in low 60s here so pool is open but we’re not actively using it yet. I started the heater up today (pool was opened for us and balanced), and when the heater is on, the jets produce a cloudy white water and the pool gets a filmy look on top. When I turn off the heater it goes away. I’m at 60% for my salt generation percentage and I just did a quick stick test and it looks like I have no chlorine (chemicals are getting balanced next week). Pool is otherwise very clear. Any ideas?

This happens with our pool as well. My rusty chemistry degree leads me to believe that this is probably hydrogen gas which is a byproduct of the reaction of the salt water generator which is not soluble in water when the heater is on.

Of course you should make sure that your chemistry is correct as others will point out. But I believe you have nothing to worry about.

^ Any salt system should be the last thing plumbed in your lines. In other words the progression is pump...filter...heater...SWCG.

Its possible some biofilm has built up in the lines in the heater after it was wet tested by the manufacturer. Just continue to run the heater and any scum will get flushed out. 60% seems high for your pool but you really need to buy a test kit to learn just how much your system is producing daily, then determine your chlorine demand and adjusting your SWCG until it’s dialed in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.