Pool Heater Brand/Model Advice

farmall.dude

Apr 30, 2019
Michigan
Hi there, pool friends and experts!
I suppose this type of question has been asked a million times. I searched but didn't quite find the answer I'm looking for. Hoping for some advice from people that own various manufacturers and models of Propane Gas heaters.
We live in Michigan, and it's about the end of the un-heated pool season already. The other night the temperature got down to 45 degrees F. So... it's time to do my research on pool heaters.
Facts (may be important, I don't know yet):
I do not have Natural Gas available and I currently don't have propane either. My house is all electric, and I'm fine with putting in a Propane Tank.
Not interested in "DIY Wood Burner" heater.
Pool size is 15' x 30' x 4', extruded aluminum (relatively thick walls), vinyl liner, solar cover
Sheltered from the North by the house
Wind generally from the West to North West
Chlorine sanitizing system.

According to what I have researched so far, I believe I need a heater that is a minimum of 120,000 BTU. Please feel free to correct me if that's wrong. I'm looking for the most efficient, longest lasting propane heater I can find. Wouldn't anyone? I trust my pool store guy, but at the end of the day his job is to sell his heater stock, not necessarily having my best interest in mind. In other words, I don't expect he'll tell me to NOT buy one of his heaters, right? I prefer to ask people that own/use one what they think of theirs. These are some questions I'd like to ask.
What brand and model did you buy and why?
Would you buy it again?
Have you had to call Customer Service?
How did that go? Any language barrier? Did they take care of you?
How long have you had the heater?
Is it costing you more, or less to heat your pool than you thought?
Does it warm it as fast as you thought, or did you underestimate its ability?
What about maintenance cost? Are there costs you didn't know about or consider?
How quiet is it? Does it sound like a jet taking off, or is the pump louder than the heater?
If you were going to replace yours, which one is on your wish list?

Thanks in advance!
Bruce

Most recommend Raypac on this site. For sure get a 400k btu model it'll heat much faster. Propane is expensive you're talking probably $1k/month in propane in the shoulder months where you live. Maybe more. My natural gas 400k btu is $5/hour to run.

Reactions: farmall.dude
I'd recommend Raypak. I have a smaller oval pool than yours and have a Raypak 150,000 btu NG model (they also make a propane version).

>What brand and model did you buy and why?

Raypak 156A. The pool store was promoting the Pentair but it was only 110K btu and almost twice the size of the Raypak. At the time, the Raypak was only $100 more and had more btu. Like you, I'm in a climate where I wanted to extend my pool season. Last year on Labor day we couldn't swim, pool temp was in the 70s. This year, pool temp was 88 degrees. :cool:

>Would you buy it again?

Yep, even though it doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles - it just works.

>Have you had to call Customer Service?

No, lots of information on the web for Raypak and I haven't had any issues with the unit.

>How long have you had the heater?

Just one season

>Is it costing you more, or less to heat your pool than you thought?

A lot less, I haven't had a bill over $80 but I don't run mine 24x7 and installed a wifi remote control with timer/temp monitoring app. If you are able to get natural gas in your area, you should factor installation cost to run the gas line. I knew there was a cost but didn't think it would cost almost as much as the heater itself.

>Does it warm it as fast as you thought, or did you underestimate its ability?

Surprisingly it does warm fast but I have a smaller pool. Add a solar cover and it's ability to heat and retain heat is better.

>What about maintenance cost? Are there costs you didn't know about or consider?

None yet but I do worry about the copper heat exchanger and longevity. Maintaining the pool chemistry is key here.

>How quiet is it? Does it sound like a jet taking off, or is the pump louder than the heater?

Very quiet, I never hear it run except for the metal expanding on startup! My neighbor has a Hayward SwimPro heater and that thing definitely sounds like a jet cruising with a low rumble. I don't know if it's resonating between houses but it's probably at least 150-175' away.

>If you were going to replace yours, which one is on your wish list?

Probably another Raypak due to cost and seems like parts are widely available with a lot of troubleshooting info on the web.

I'd recommend Raypak. I have a smaller oval pool than yours and have a Raypak 150,000 btu NG model (they also make a propane version).

>What brand and model did you buy and why?

Raypak 156A. The pool store was promoting the Pentair but it was only 110K btu and almost twice the size of the Raypak. At the time, the Raypak was only $100 more and had more btu. Like you, I'm in a climate where I wanted to extend my pool season. Last year on Labor day we couldn't swim, pool temp was in the 70s. This year, pool temp was 88 degrees. :cool:

>Would you buy it again?

Yep, even though it doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles - it just works.

>Have you had to call Customer Service?

No, lots of information on the web for Raypak and I haven't had any issues with the unit.

>How long have you had the heater?

Just one season

>Is it costing you more, or less to heat your pool than you thought?

A lot less, I haven't had a bill over $80 but I don't run mine 24x7 and installed a wifi remote control with timer/temp monitoring app. If you are able to get natural gas in your area, you should factor installation cost to run the gas line. I knew there was a cost but didn't think it would cost almost as much as the heater itself.

>Does it warm it as fast as you thought, or did you underestimate its ability?

Surprisingly it does warm fast but I have a smaller pool. Add a solar cover and it's ability to heat and retain heat is better.

>What about maintenance cost? Are there costs you didn't know about or consider?

None yet but I do worry about the copper heat exchanger and longevity. Maintaining the pool chemistry is key here.

>How quiet is it? Does it sound like a jet taking off, or is the pump louder than the heater?

Very quiet, I never hear it run except for the metal expanding on startup! My neighbor has a Hayward SwimPro heater and that thing definitely sounds like a jet cruising with a low rumble. I don't know if it's resonating between houses but it's probably at least 150-175' away.

>If you were going to replace yours, which one is on your wish list?

Probably another Raypak due to cost and seems like parts are widely available with a lot of troubleshooting info on the web.
Thanks a LOT Toolerb50!

I had a pool for 20+ years in MI. The 150K heater will not heat your pool adequately, and won't keep up with overnight temp drops. Get the 400K heater (unless someone makes one even bigger, then get that :)). We usually opened our pool around May 1st, and closed end of September. We always used a solar blanket to keep the heat in, and kept the pool in the high 80's.

We had natural gas, and during the spring and fall months, it would cost us $200-$300 to maintain heat. You can triple that with propane. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.