Pool hasn't been opened in 5 years

Aug 5, 2018
Indiana
Hey,

Wife and I just recently bought a house that was a foreclosure. It has an inground pool with a vinyl liner that has not been open for 5ish years, according to neighbors. When we cleaned the top of the cover and removed it this is what we saw.

Pool photo.jpg

It's looking like it's going to be a long road to opening. Our first step has been, for the past 2 days, is getting all, or as much, of the leafs, twigs and sludge that's in there. So far, that has shown to be A LOT. We're 4-6 hours in and there's still quite a bit being picked up, though the loads are getting lighter. We're a bit concerned since it doesn't appear to have been winterized (we live in Indiana) what kind of damage that may have done to the plumbing, etc. There was still water in the sand filter.

I guess my questions to you all is how should we go about this? Should we continue to get all the crud out first before turning on the filter? It being now August, should we get as much done now, close up shop before winter and wait to try and open it next year? Is this all just a waste of time?

I appreciate any and all the help!

-Tyler

Welcome to TFP Tyler! Glad you found your way here.... to the biggest best pool forum on the 'net.

Your pool appears to be a vinyl lined pool, and that its holding water makes me think good things! No rips or tears. Just be careful removing debris so that you don't damage the liner. You could drain down to a foot *(always leave at least a food in shallow end) and refill.

Alternatively you could always drain the pool and buy a new liner, which while costly (~4-5k?) would give you a fresh start water wise and liner wise.

We can help you clean up that water. It will take a test kit (there are only two we approve of) and a LOT of plain liquid chlorine or bleach. No scented, thickened or Clorox products. Store brand plain bleach or liquid chlorine from a pool or chemical supplier is best. Nothing else at this time.

The test kits we endorse are the K-2006C by Taylor or the TF-100 put out by tftestkits.net Both can be found on Amazon or TFTestkits.net . I prefer the TF-100, and with that pool I'd get the XL version along with a Speed Stir device.

Can you take a pic of the equipment pad so we can see what you've got? Let us know what you want to do and we'll be happy to help you out.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: damon5683
Pics of the equipment
Pool equipment 1.jpg

dbtgallery.php

But I will buy the testing kit ASAP. We're not in the best financial spot to spend $4-5K on a new liner so working with the one we got is ideally the best option.

If you are wanting to try getting that pool back to swim-able condition, At this time of year, I would be looking at finding a local janitorial supply company to purchase a 55 gallon drum of 12.5% bleach from.
Then get a cheap drum pump (plastic).
This is how I buy my bleach for my pool... It is as cheap (or cheaper) than getting it at the store by the gallon, (I pay $150 for 55 gallons delivered to me.)
You don't have to worry about getting rid of all those bleach jugs. ... I have a couple of people that keep wanting to have my old barrels for various purposes, and have been offered $20-$25/ea for them.

Trust me, you are going to go through at LEAST that much bleach in clearing that pool up.

Personally, I would be trying to clear it up, and SEE what I have for a liner.... As far as you know, the liner MIGHT be pristine.

If it isn't, you will have the winter to decide on what to do with the pool.

It looks like a NICE pool, and I would be chomping at the bit to get it cleaned up, and swim-able again.

Welcome to TFP...

That fist pic is what we call "Black Gold/Texas Tea"...no wait thats water for sure. You have come to the right pace to clean up the swamp water! Just get the junk out being careful on the liner. These folks will have you up and running in no time at all. Take a look at these links as they are important!

ABC’s of Pool Water Chemistry

Pool School Book

Chemicals-Recommeded

Chlorine/CYA Chart

PoolMath

Buy bleach...lots of it! Congrats on your pool as you will love it!

Read This Before you Post

Test Kits Compared

If you are wanting to try getting that pool back to swim-able condition, At this time of year, I would be looking at finding a local janitorial supply company to purchase a 55 gallon drum of 12.5% bleach from.
Then get a cheap drum pump (plastic).
This is how I buy my bleach for my pool... It is as cheap (or cheaper) than getting it at the store by the gallon, (I pay $150 for 55 gallons delivered to me.)
You don't have to worry about getting rid of all those bleach jugs. ... I have a couple of people that keep wanting to have my old barrels for various purposes, and have been offered $20-$25/ea for them.

Trust me, you are going to go through at LEAST that much bleach in clearing that pool up.

Personally, I would be trying to clear it up, and SEE what I have for a liner.... As far as you know, the liner MIGHT be pristine.

If it isn't, you will have the winter to decide on what to do with the pool.

It looks like a NICE pool, and I would be chomping at the bit to get it cleaned up, and swim-able again.

Thanks for the advice? Do you have any advice on how and how often should I be bleaching it? Should I also be running the filter then? Since it hasn't run in years, what are some things I should check before and during?

Thank you!

Thanks for the advice? Do you have any advice on how and how often should I be bleaching it? Should I also be running the filter then? Since it hasn't run in years, what are some things I should check before and during?

Thank you!

Read up one the SLAM Process process. That is what you need to follow. Pump needs to be running. You need to get your test kit and post your test findings. How much CYA is in the water will determine your next steps.

In the meantime clear as much organic material out of the pool as possible.

Being that it's already early August, I think I'd probably drain that baby down to a a foot in the shallow end and then refill with fresh water. With the dark color of the pool, it is gonna take a LOT of chlorine to clear that up and it will take time. If you do the drain and refill, you'll still have to SLAM when you refill, but it will take much less time and chlorine. Just make sure the equipment works first so you don't run into another obstacle later.

Put the filter in recirculate mode and check everything for leaks, probably no CYA in there but there may be ammonia.

you need to source a lot of bleach and be prepared to add huge amounts at the beginning.

Get the TF-100 with the XL option

continue to get all the leaves and sludge out. You want as little rotting debris as possible because it will suck up chlorine as you try to clear the water.

the good news is that with no CYA in the water you can start will a gallon of bleach and get things started.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With water that dark, and this late into the season, I'm also in the "drain and start over" camp. (I love a good swamp-clearing challenge, but there are so many unknowns and so little time...) If I were you, I would want it clear this year though. You're already on the right track - you came here for advice instead of going to a store for expensive and unnecessary products.

Nice pool. Do yourself (and honestly US) a favor and keep taking pics. The before/after will be a point of pride for a long time to come.

If that pump is dead or dying, I strongly suggest you replace it with at least a 2-speed, but preferably a variable-speed pump. The energy savings can provide a payback in a reasonably short time.

If that were my pool, I would also power-wash that concrete before the pool is sparkling so I wouldn't have to worry about the dirt and debris. The big-box home stores near me rent powerwashers and concrete cleaning attachments that cut the labor time to a small fraction of using a handheld wand.

With water that dark, and this late into the season, I'm also in the "drain and start over" camp. (I love a good swamp-clearing challenge, but there are so many unknowns and so little time...) If I were you, I would want it clear this year though. You're already on the right track - you came here for advice instead of going to a store for expensive and unnecessary products.

If that were my pool, I would also power-wash that concrete before the pool is sparkling so I wouldn't have to worry about the dirt and debris. The big-box home stores near me rent powerwashers and concrete cleaning attachments that cut the labor time to a small fraction of using a handheld wand.

Draining a pool with an old vinyl liner has risks. I would not suggest power washing it.

Partial drains and refills can be done. Or there is a water exchange method that can be used.

If the OP wants to do some form of water replacement and cleaning then he should review his plans here before he begins.

I wouldn’t drain it, even with a foot on floor you don’t know how well the corners can handle a refill.
056851b70d1766ef12d05492c3c3b8df.jpg
3b1aabfebc7185a98e68a1802bd02df5.jpg
56d585236ab8a8170dad21b802d2109e.jpg

I did this one last year, closed 8 years according to owner - they are boaters & beech House.. grandkids got to that age & they wanted to take a shot at the pool again..

Balanced , shocked & flocced... I think it was a 3 or 4 visit clean up over a week.

I hate floccing , but a drain wasn’t an option. I know this neighborhood & it has a very high water table all year & the liner is shoe leather.

I probably flocced 2 pools in last 10 years.

Next week the liner goes in my dumpster [emoji106]

& yes @Jimrahbe even my trash pumps are Pentair & that’s a Pentair FC beater test kit in red box

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.