Pool guy says I need to add sand to my filter because the sand dissolves over time. Is this true?

mobtr

Aug 27, 2021
Greece
My pool is turning green quite easily lately despite chlorine and ph being in range, so I have to keep shocking it to clean it up. My pool guy says that I need to add sand because my sand level is low and so the filters are not filtering well. I asked him how the sand level got low and he told me that the it gets worn down over time and dissolves. Pool was built about 12 years ago. From what I am reading here, sand does not degrade or dissolve over time as my guy is telling me it does. I haven't been able to find a clear answer on this so I'm asking here. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!
Sand does not dissolve. If it did, the beaches in Greece would all be gone.
If no contaminants are used in the pool, such as flocculant or clarifier, sand should last the life of the filter housing.
If you have algae, you need to follow the SLAM Process. You need a proper test kit, which I suspect is difficult to get in Greece.
Test Kits Compared
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

• Haha
Reactions: mobtr and koffey
Welcome to the forum!
Sand does not dissolve. If it did, the beaches in Greece would all be gone.
If no contaminants are used in the pool, such as flocculant or clarifier, sand should last the life of the filter housing.
If you have algae, you need to follow the SLAM Process. You need a proper test kit, which I suspect is difficult to get in Greece.
Test Kits Compared
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thank you for your prompt reply!

Haha good point about the beaches disappearing. So, in no case does the sand level "fall" unless the "octopus" under the sand is broken and you see sand in the pool (which I don't). I use flocculant occasionally. I am expecting my guy to come now with 14 sacks of sand for 2 filters. This, he tells me, is what is necessary to "top up" the existing sand from installation. I am going to send him back home with his sand but just wanted to make extra sure first. I have been told to change stuff that made no difference in the past, so now I am sitting down to learn this stuff for myself. Your help is much appreciated!

If you have used flocculant, there is a good chance the sand is clumped. The floc acts like glue. A Deep Clean may clean it up, or replacement of the sand will be necessary.

Reactions: mobtr
I used those little tablets in a small bag that go in the little basket after the pumps before sand filter that clear up cloudy water. I'm not 100% sure that is flocculant. However, my sand is not clumped. I was there when he opened up my filters and checked the sand. He didn't say it was clumped, hardened, or blocked. He simply said the volume was down and needed to be topped up to the tune of 14 sacks of sand for 2 filters. He said the pressure was fine but the sand was not filtering well due to low volume (even though it was fine for the last 12 years).

Tomorrow I will read up on all the links you kindly sent and start to learn this stuff myself because these guys here are crooks, they just want to sell you more stuff.

Your sand filter could have been under filled when it was first installed. The sand filter manual should specify the amount of sand required for proper operation. Once the sand level is correct it should not need to be refilled.

He simply said the volume was down and needed to be topped up to the tune of 14 sacks of sand for 2 filters.
What filters do you have?

Why 2 filters?

What pump do you have?

If the flow on backwash is too high, you can lose sand to waste.

Is that (7) 50 lb bags per filter (350 lb each)?

Your sand filter could have been under filled when it was first installed. The sand filter manual should specify the amount of sand required for proper operation. Once the sand level is correct it should not need to be refilled.
What filters do you have?

Why 2 filters?

What pump do you have?

If the flow on backwash is too high, you can lose sand to waste.

Is that (7) 50 lb bags per filter (350 lb each)?
My pool is approx 190 cubic meters (50,192 gallons according to conversion site) so it was installed with 3 pumps and 3 filters actually by the guy who built the house. I have only used 2 pumps for 7 hrs a day over the last 4 years though, because they worked fine and I save energy. I don't know what kind of pumps and filters I have but I will check tomorrow.

How would I know if backwash flow is too strong? I assumed the power of the pump is fixed.

Also not sure of the size of sand bags as they have not been delivered yet. He talked about them like they were a standardized size. I am learning as I go. He also said that there is supposed to be larger grains on the bottom and finer on the top and that it was mixed up (fine and large), in case that means anything. But then he said that didn't really matter....

A serious company built the pool and installed the machinery. Also, I haven't had any problems for the last 12 years so probably the amount of sand was ok. This guy just stuck his hand in and said it was low. I estimate it was a little over half full. He then went on to tell me that the sand dissolves with time, which it seems is untrue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This guy just stuck his hand in and said it was low. I estimate it was a little over half full.

Half full is usually not enough sand. You have to check the filter manual for its specifications but it is usually more like 2/3 full.

My pool is turning green quite easily lately despite chlorine and ph being in range, so I have to keep shocking it to clean it up.

Green pools and algae is a water chemistry problem fixed with chlorine. Filtering does not fix algae problems.

I don't have any manuals, but please tell me what are the symptoms of too low sand volume?

Poor filtering and cloudy water.

I suggest you read ...

Depends on the pump.

Do you have pictures of everything including all labels on all equipment?
Here are pictures. The pumps don't really have any labels left except the energy plate.
Green pools and algae is a water chemistry problem fixed with chlorine. Filtering does not fix algae problems.

Poor filtering and cloudy water.

I suggest you read ...

Ok thank you. I have a lot of studying to do....:)

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 21
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 15
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 16
  • p4.jpg
    p4.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 18
  • p6.jpg
    p6.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 20
  • p7.jpg
    p7.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 20

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 1
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 1
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 1
  • p4.jpg
    p4.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 3
  • p6.jpg
    p6.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 2
  • p7.jpg
    p7.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 2
The filter is 30" in diameter, which is 4.9 square feet.

So, the backwash flow rate should be about 73.5 gpm.

I think that you might have a SW5P6RG1, which is rated at 27 cubic meters per hour (119 gpm).

So, the pump is oversized for the filter and you could be losing sand during backwash.

1630092797863.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.