Pool guy ruined summer

If you are renting that house I would think the person renting you that house needs to fix it for you. We have had rental properties and always had to fix anything that had failed in which we usually had a home warranty against the property. Those probably wouldn't help with a liner failure but I just had a new $800 pool pump replaced on our home using one.

What are the odds that it fails after several years, on the same exact day in the exact same spot that the chemical was applied well before the life expectancy of the liner is up? Pretty astronomical probably. Seems to me the simplest answer is the correct one. The chemical caused the failure.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but that looks like a catastrophic failure rather than one resulting from a corrosive event. Now admittedly the photos don't show a lot of detail, so I'm not reaching any conclusions here.

What are the odds that it fails after several years, on the same exact day in the exact same spot that the chemical was applied well before the life expectancy of the liner is up? Pretty astronomical probably. Seems to me the simplest answer is the correct one. The chemical caused the failure.

If that was indeed CYA the odds would be exactly the same as without- it couldn't cause it.

No, that's poor logic.

Unless you can demonstrate how 8 lbs of CYA can cause a seam to fail that is holding 200,000 lbs of water, then the fact that they occurred simultaneously is just coincidence.

ETA: I see that you are convinced it's not a seam. Maybe if the chemical is not CYA but something more destructive, then you might have a point.

Yes I am convinced it is not a seam, the photos clearly show the seam. And that is not where it failed. Not sure why you are insisting it is a seam.

- - - Updated - - -

So, you come here for our advise, but seem offended to our logic.

It is highly doubtful that the CYA caused this failure on its own. I dumped pound upon pound in an Intex easy set (first year pool owner pre-TFP), faded the liner here it collected, but no failure, and that liner is a lot more fragile than yours.

Ultimatly this is your decision, and I hope it works out for you, just don't be surprised if the claim is denied.

Please keep us updated on the progress.

Dom

I am not offended by your logic, just posing my opinion. In fact I appreciate all info received.

It's more likely that the CYA did in fact apply a small stress to the system which could ordinarily be withstood, but when applied to an aged liner resulted in a catastrophic failure.

Your questions and comments, from my perspective, have all been polite and I think your situation would be a tough one for any of us. Your issue is interesting and I hope you get it resolved well. If it was me, I'd follow the suggestion above regarding the testing for CYA. It's just a pinch (1/10th teaspoon) in a gallon of tap water to get your pool test kit to detect CYA. If none is detected, I'd do CH, but you'd need to dilute in distilled water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How about a photo of the pile of chemical?

Granular cya can usually be spotted instantly.

Will do, sun is setting so will tackle in the AM.

- - - Updated - - -

It's more likely that the CYA did in fact apply a small stress to the system which could ordinarily be withstood, but when applied to an aged liner resulted in a catastrophic failure.

Thank you, this is exactly what I think as well.

Your questions and comments, from my perspective, have all been polite and I think your situation would be a tough one for any of us. Your issue is interesting and I hope you get it resolved well. If it was me, I'd follow the suggestion above regarding the testing for CYA. It's just a pinch (1/10th teaspoon) in a gallon of tap water to get your pool test kit to detect CYA. If none is detected, I'd do CH, but you'd need to dilute in distilled water.

Thank you, It is a very tough situation. I believe it is going to be fully replaced by insurance, they are the one obtaining quotes so far. If it is rejected, than my landlord is willing to step in and can help resolve the situation. At this point his involvement is not necessary. I am a pretty easy going guy, and yes I could probably demand that he replace it and than deal with everything after, but he is a good guy and a friend as well so I do not feel right putting the burden on him at this point. He is a man of greater resources than myself, and would be confident in his abilities to resolve this if needed, but that's my last step. I plan on living in this house for many more years.

i would love to hear more input on what you would ask for for compensation from this incident, if you are in my shoes.

What if you tried to calculate an amortized value of the pool itself across Summer swim season and years life expectancy and then added alternate swim access costs and maybe a weekly replacement family ntertainment budget to see what you come up with.

I don't see this thread being much about pools. The liner "incident" can be interpreted many ways and it appears to have been vetted pretty thoroughly. Unless there is something technical about pools we can learn I plan on closing this thread.

TFP has no interest in the "lawyering" business......I'll bet there is a forum somewhere for that but the discussion doesn't belong on a swimming pool forum

I don't see this thread being much about pools. The liner "incident" can be interpreted many ways and it appears to have been vetted pretty thoroughly. Unless there is something technical about pools we can learn I plan on closing this thread.

TFP has no interest in the "lawyering" business......I'll bet there is a forum somewhere for that but the discussion doesn't belong on a swimming pool forum

I am sorry, I had no intention of turning it into lawyering, and that was never part of my original question. You are correct, if I had specific legal questions or advice I would have gone to a different forum.

My intent was to learn the value that each individual places on his pool usage, and what compensation they would seek if that usage was no longer possible. I figured the best way to do that was to go to a pool forum, not a lawyer forum.

I suspect that the failure occurred when someone went to brush the cyanuric acid. Possibly the edge of the brush caught the liner or someone unfamiliar with how the liner curves pushed down too hard on the liner and caused a rip.

Overall, I don’t believe that the cyanuric acid caused the rip.

I suspect that the liner was probably weak from age and possibly chemical imbalance.

What can you tell us about the history of the chemistry?

Do you know for sure that the chemistry has been maintained properly from the time of installation?

Do you know of any time that the chemistry was seriously out of balance?

I don’t think that this is a normal liner. I think that the liner is basically the entire pool. I suspect that it’s a very heavy gauge vinyl, possibly with fabric incorporated to hold the weight of the water. I don’t think that it can be compared to a normal vinyl liner.

Because the liner does not have support where it curves up from the floor to the wall, it is going to be under constant stress. It might have failed prematurely due to improper installation or perhaps the soil washed away leaving the liner under excessive stress. Being on the hill like that would subject the area to a lot of drainage and possibly soil erosion.

What does the manufacturer say?

What is the typical life expectancy of the liner?

Is there a warranty?

When was the pool first installed?

I agree with the others...this is unlikely a failure due solely to the addition of CYA. "Taking care" of the pool as a tenant means cleaning and chemical balance, not replacing a failed structure. Either the pool guy's insurance covers it, or the homeowner covers it, but this certainly does not seem like it should be the tenant's responsibility. If you hire a guy to do pressure washing and the side of the house caves in due to age or defective building materials, is that your responsibility too?

+1 :)

I'd like to see under the deck and the outside portion of the deck where all the water would have gone, where the rip occurred. I don't get how there is any chemical pooled in one spot with 20,000 + gallons gushing out of a pool like that. We've seen pics of metal walled pools go and take the filter n pump 100 plus yards into the woods, right off the pad. 20k gallons of water on the loose is a beast. It's going to cause more damage than just a liner failure. That's just my opinion.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.