Pool guy ruined summer

24efa61f8377a3842c3c20256534e3e436260b54623bfd8df053e88d60272478.jpg

You're asking what is the compensation for loss of use? You could get 100 lawyers and all would come up with different numbers. I would take the (distance to the Y * federal mileage rate) + (minimum wage * time to Y) + (fuel costs) as your true and accurate out-of-pocket losses.

All that said, I agree that this doesn't look like a pool ruined by one action of the pool guy on his first visit. This looks like a seam failure that was MAYBE contributed by some weight on one side of the seam and improper backer on the back.

OP, I'd consider discussing immediate liner replacement with your landlord. Its pretty clear to me the seam gave, and its highly unlikely the entire seam gave out horizontally like that based on chemicals sitting on one portion of it. I fear your pool guy's insurance may well fight it...in which case you'd wait all this time for nothing. If you go ahead and replace the obviously aged liner, that wouldn't nullify your claim, would it? Insurance companies don't usually punish one for restorative efforts...since leaving it as is with further compromise the structural integrity for which you will not be compensated, I suspect.

Over 10 g to replace liner. Too much for me. If insurance is going to fight it my landlord is going to assist me. But we don't believe they are.

It did not rip on a seam. See the photo I attached.the seam is about 10 inches away from the rip. Liner appears far more aged than it is after sitting in direct sunlight with no water in it.

- - - Updated - - -

I am trying to upload more photos to show it did not rip on a seam but it says I have reached my limit. What should I do?

- - - Updated - - -

That really looks like a catastrophic seam failure in the pictures.

Is that tear directly on a seam? Can you get close up pics?

Dom

I have more pics but it is not allowing me to post, says my limit is reached.

This phot clearly shows the tear is not on a seam. What I believe happened is that the chemical weakened the liner in the two spots, and then it perforated between the two weakened spots. The tear continued up the side because of the weight of the water. The chemical remained on the bottom because the concrete wall contained the spill and drained it out the drainage pipes down the hill.

- - - Updated - - -

The last three inches of water didn't drain and just had to evaporate away.

- - - Updated - - -

10,000 to replace the liner??

Do they have to tear/down rebuild the deck too for that price?

That seems WAY more than it should be.

That does not include tearing away the deck, which is not necessary. The liner is less than ten years old. My neighbor has had the same pool for over 15 years.

- - - Updated - - -

I was just asking for opinions on what others would ask for compensation. I am a pretty reasonable guy. I understand the computation for actual out of pocket expenses. Although factoring my pay at minimum wage would be ridiculous. There is also the issue of compensation for reduced use. Normally we would be swimming in our pool 3 to 4 times a day for an hour or so each time. Now are swimming is reduced to once per day. I think it would be fair to be compensated for that.

- - - Updated - - -

I too am not sure what I am looking at. If the pool let loose and failed with a quick drain I would think the CYA would have been washed away. This is just not adding up for me.
It was not a fast drain. The concrete block wall contained the spill and released it out several 4 inch drain pipes located in bottom of said wall.

liner cost is 6500 and another 4500 for install

Maybe there's something I don't understand about your pool but my entire inground replacement for a 23k gallon grecian 18.5'x30.5' custom fabricated and installed is $3,450 -- and that's with a premium liner that had to be special ordered from Canada.

Is the cost differential perhaps that your pool needs a specific grad of vinyl because it doesn't have traditional walls? Can you get bids from others?

The labor seems out of this world to me (labor portion of my contract s $1400). So sorry you're faced with what appear to be lousy options. Hope you can find some better ones.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe there's something I don't understand about your pool but my entire inground replacement for a 23k gallon grecian 18.5'x30.5' custom fabricated and installed is $3,450 -- and that's with a premium liner that had to be special ordered from Canada.

Is the cost differential perhaps that your pool needs a specific grad of vinyl because it doesn't have traditional walls? Can you get bids from others?

The labor seems out of this world to me (labor portion of my contract s $1400). So sorry you're faced with what appear to be lousy options. Hope you can find some better ones.

This is is not an Inground pool. The liner is very thick, even the pool guy couldn't believe how thick it is. I am trying to get some good close up photos of where the stabilizer sat on the vinyl. There is definitely some what I would call etching on the vinyl.

Yes i believe it is a splash super pool, they must have had a heck of a salesman when my neighborhood was built because every other house has one. I believe most people used them here because 6 inches underground are gigantic boulders which makes excavation difficult. you are correct on the price.

- - - Updated - - -

I was told by the pool guy it was stabilizer.

Six years is around the average life expectancy of a liner. I would fight it if I was an adjuster. I would get some more quotes on the cost to replace the liner.

I'm not a lawyer, but most insurance companies will balk at paying loss of use. At most, you might get them to reimburse the cost to join a community pool. But, I just don't see how your claim would get approved.

Best to do your own testing and chemicals so that you are in control. Pool guys are notorious for dumping massive amounts of chlorine in so that it will last all week. Over time with repeated nuclear additions of chlorine, liners will have a much shorter life expectancy.

That cannot possibly have anything to do with 8 lbs of CYA. Probably more to do with 200,000 lbs of water sitting on a aging liner.

What are the odds that it fails after several years, on the same exact day in the exact same spot that the chemical was applied well before the life expectancy of the liner is up? Pretty astronomical probably. Seems to me the simplest answer is the correct one. The chemical caused the failure.

Last edited:
If you want to pursue that, it's up to you entirely. Definitely figure out what the chemical is. I was helping on another thread where the pool builder said he had put stabilizer in, and it turned out to be calcium chloride. Weird stuff happens.

What are the odds that it fails after several years, on the same exact day in the exact same spot that the chemical was applied well before the life expectancy of the liner is up? Pretty astronomical probably. Seems to me the simplest answer is the correct one. The chemical caused the failure.

No, that's poor logic.

Unless you can demonstrate how 8 lbs of CYA can cause a seam to fail that is holding 200,000 lbs of water, then the fact that they occurred simultaneously is just coincidence.

ETA: I see that you are convinced it's not a seam. Maybe if the chemical is not CYA but something more destructive, then you might have a point.

So, you come here for our advise, but seem offended to our logic.

It is highly doubtful that the CYA caused this failure on its own. I dumped pound upon pound in an Intex easy set (first year pool owner pre-TFP), faded the liner here it collected, but no failure, and that liner is a lot more fragile than yours.

Ultimatly this is your decision, and I hope it works out for you, just don't be surprised if the claim is denied.

Please keep us updated on the progress.

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.