Pool green, drain or save?

Jun 5, 2014
Brentwood, Ca (Nor-Cal)
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all, let my pool go with arrival of our 1st baby 16' ft round intex ultra. . I was planning on draining and moving a few pavers that were on the leg edge. Can I drain now or should I wait until spring? I kinda want to clean it up and Def don't want a mosquito breeding ground lol.

Do I just drain scrub and rinse out then refill?
Pretty much. Maybe use some bleach in a spray bottle to treat the walls. Clean out as much as you can and then follow the directions for a fresh fill: adjust pH first, weigh out the appropriate CYA and put it in a sock to dissolve, and then add chlorine.

If your pH is high and your TA is into triple digits - common in California - you can start the pool with trichlor pucks in a floater or by using powdered dichlor until the CYA level gets where you want it. According to Intex, your pool holds 5,061 gallons. Four pounds of either will get your CYA up to around 50, so don't buy more than that, and just use it to chlorinate until it's all gone and then switch to bleach. Don't add all four pounds all at once! You'll bleach the liner if you do.

If TA is below 100, forget that and just manually add acid and stabilizer and bleach as needed according to Poolmath. Only worry about getting the CYA level up to about 50 and maintain pH and FC. TA is not something you normally need to worry about in California, and there's nothing you can do about high CH. Low CH is not a problem with a vinyl pool. Just get the CYa up and maintain pH and FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.