Pool Green and Cloudy

May 13, 2018
Matthews NC
Hi friends! New to TFP, but I've been reading forums and pool school articles for a few weeks now.

Just ordered my TFP-100 test kit (??), But in the meantime....

We treated some metal stains about 6 weeks ago, and, as expected, had trouble raising chlorine levels after. We did use an algaecide at the time, to attempt avoiding an issue, but obviously that failed. 2 weeks ago, started to notice light visible algae. That was when we realized we could be using chlorine bleach to slowly raise the levels, which we did, but I haven't read about slam yet and we were nervous to shock using regular dichlor giving her medal standing issues in the past. Kept FC at about 10 PPM for about a week, problem didn't get worse but it didn't get better. This week, more noticeable algae and the pool started to turn a teal green. Began doing we would normally do to shock, but using liquid chlorine. By yesterday, realize that was not cutting it. Took a sample to our pool store, as we are waiting for our test kit to arrive.

FC above 17
CC 0
pH 7.3
CH 175
TA 53
CYA 148

We added 15 lbs of alkalinity to get ta up yesterday. Idiots at the pool store told us that was all we needed, but by this morning realize we clearly needed to slam. The only problem is that we don't have a reliable test kit for that yet, only the strips. Using the numbers from yesterday we used the pool calculator, added 7 jugs (1.5 gallons)of concentrated bleach. 1 additional jug early this afternoon, a second additional jug late this afternoon, a third additional jug this evening. Based on my estimations that should have put our FC around 40 to 45. Pool is still looking greenish/teal in the deep end. I know it's only been 12 hours, but at what point should I start to see a reduction in the green. It's definitely more cloudy which I know means we're killing algae.

Total aside, I realize our cya is super super high, but I also know the only way to really reduce that is by draining. With a vinyl liner, I'm not really sure how we can drain and refill without damage??? HELP!

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Generally (and I hate generalizations) a liner pool can be drained to teh top of the bottom step without fear of floating the liner. But, that is a generalization - different areas with differing water tables make a difference. You list your location as Matthews - but, what state? It really makes a difference and helps us in framing answers to you.

First, no more tablets in the chlorinator. That is how you got in this mess.

Until you get your test kit, 1 jug (bottle if you prefer that word) of bleach per day.

Draining as much as you see fit will help.

Welcome to TFP Hlynnkirk!

Well good news is, you now know WHY you have algae.

I have also heard top of the bottom step as a "rule of thumb", but you could also use the top of the 2nd from bottom to be safer. I bet you a donut you don't have this problem ever again.

Keep us posted, take pictures, your story will help others.

Thanks everyone. Looks Greener this morning ? continue with just one bottle of bleach until my test kit arrives tomorrow? Or start draining? I'm over anxious to resolve this!

Attachments

• IMG_20180514_064019288_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180514_064019288_HDR.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20180514_064042958.jpg
    IMG_20180514_064042958.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 53
We are about to get a boatload of rain. I would take advantage by draining down a few inches at least. If you drain below the skimmer and don't have a working main drain you can add the bleach and brush the entire pool to mix. If you ordered a test kit yesterday you should have it this week. POP = pool owner patience :)

Thank you! Hard to be patient when it's 90 and my kids are dying to swim ��
Talked to my pool installer/repair guy to find out how far I can safely drain. He says top of the middle step, so that's what I'll be doing today. Will report back tomorrow after I get my test kit!

Thanks for the update and good to call the installer for an opinion as well!

We will be here when you need us.

Thank you! Hard to be patient when it's 90 and my kids are dying to swim ��
Talked to my pool installer/repair guy to find out how far I can safely drain. He says top of the middle step, so that's what I'll be doing today. Will report back tomorrow after I get my test kit!

So I drained the pool about halfway down today, top of the middle step. Pump has been running again and filtering for about 2 hours. Unfortunately, my test kit is not going to be here till NEXT Tuesday. Fail. In the meantime, I tried a dip test and it is showing all of my levels as totally off the charts!

Water is much clearer, altho showing light metal staining again. And I'm smelling a lot of chlorine. Water is so expensive here I hate to have to do it again.

- - - Updated - - -

Husband is brushing pool now, some of what I thought was metal staining is actually brushing up in yellow clouds on the bottom of the pool. That's what we had before I drained. Algae? Pollen? I just have no idea and I have no idea what to do until my test kit arrives

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The "smell of chlorine" is actually CC. From Pool School:

Combined chlorine is an intermediate breakdown product created in the process of sanitizing the pool. CC causes the "chlorine" smell many people associate with chlorine pools. If CC is above 0.5ppm, you should SLAM your pool. CC indicates that there is something in the water that the FC is in the process of breaking down. In an outdoor pool, CC will normally stay at or near zero as long as you maintain an appropriate FC level and the pool gets some direct sunlight.

That, tied to the "clouds" when you brush tells me (or suggests to me) you are still fighting algae.

You have a fairly large pool, so with the CC smell telling me the chlorine is doing it's job you could up the chlorine if you wanted to. It's still a holding pattern until we can get real numbers, but your pool could probably support a bottl twice a day spaced out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.