Pool flow and cloudy water

Sep 19, 2018
Odessa MO
Hello, I am a rookie when it comes to pools and maintenance. I installed a saltwater pool in the fall of last year (lazy L shape with a 6' deep end, approx. 21,500 gal of water, 2 skimmers, 3 returns no main drain, Hayward variable speed pump, Hayward sand filter).

I filled the pool in the fall (up to the capped returns) and did not do anything else until this spring. Over the coarse of finishing the dirt grading, concrete work, seeding, etc. the bottom of the pool collected a good amount of debris.
This spring, I filled the pool on up and began cleaning the debris out. I have been running the pump for a couple weeks and have been taking water samples up to the pool store and been adding chemicals (mostly chlorine)but have not added salt yet.
The latest water test is attached and the pool tech told me that my water is almost perfect conditions. The problem that I have is two things:

1. the pool is still very cloudy. so cloudy that I cannot see the bottom enough to even see if I got all of the debris vacuumed out (I'm sure I didn't) but I have been regularly running my Dolphin robot and each time it cycles off, I clean the filters and there continues to be dirt/debris in the filters. So m question is this. Is my water really near perfect conditions(see the attached report)? If so, what can I do to remove the cloudiness of the water so I can see the bottom and finish vacuuming?

My pool seems to loose flow (Not every time) after an hour or so of operation. I backwash, then go back to filter and the pool has great flow (psi at 22) but after an hour or so, the flow seems to slow down. The skimmer and pump baskets area clean, there is no air in the system, I've checked the impeller on the pump for build-up. The odd part to me is that the psi doesn't really change much when the flow is lower. You would think that the psi would rise if something was restricting the flow right???

Again, I'm a rookie so I apologize for any rookie questions and thank you in advance for any help offered!

Attachments

• IMG_1239.jpg
    IMG_1239.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1240.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg
    459.6 KB · Views: 35
BC, you have algae. Solution - do a TFP SLAM Process following those instructions to the letter and with the use of a TF-100 test kit (or Tyalor K-2006C). See Test Kits Compared. You will not receive accurate water testing at the local store, nor will they be able to help you perform a "SLAM" for the duration required to eradicate the algae. The alage is why your filter pressure is rising and the water is cloudy. At this point, your best option is to:
- Order a TF-100 (link below in my signature)
- Read the SLAM Process, FC/CYA Levels, PoolMath, and ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry pages to get started
- Update your signature, to inculde what type of pool you have (plaster, vinyl, etc).
- For now you could get-by with adding 1/2-one gallon of regular bleach each day until the test kit arrives. Once it does, post a full set of numbers and we'll be glad to walk you through the SLAM process.

Let us know if you have any questions. Have a nice weekend.

Reactions: Razorhog
Please read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and Pool School - Trouble Free Pool and learn about Trouble Free Care Pool (TFPC) methods.

The pool store tests and recommendations will not solve your problems and just keep you coming back to spend more with them while you get frustrated.

Do what Splash listed above.

Please.

BC, you have algae. Solution - do a TFP SLAM Process following those instructions to the letter and with the use of a TF-100 test kit (or Tyalor K-2006C). See Test Kits Compared. You will not receive accurate water testing at the local store, nor will they be able to help you perform a "SLAM" for the duration required to eradicate the algae. The alage is why your filter pressure is rising and the water is cloudy. At this point, your best option is to:
- Order a TF-100 (link below in my signature)
- Read the SLAM Process, FC/CYA Levels, PoolMath, and ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry pages to get started
- Update your signature, to inculde what type of pool you have (plaster, vinyl, etc).
- For now you could get-by with adding 1/2-one gallon of regular bleach each day until the test kit arrives. Once it does, post a full set of numbers and we'll be glad to walk you through the SLAM process.

Let us know if you have any questions. Have a nice weekend.
Thank you for your help! I had a feeling about the water test results! I have orders the TF-100 test kit and will contact you guy when it arrives. One question on the bleach... is it 1-2 gallons each day or 1/2 gallon each day until the test kit arrives?

Thanks again!

I have orders the TF-100 test kit and will contact you guy when it arrives.
You'll be glad you did! :goodjob:

For the bleach, just stick to about 1/2 to 1 gallon per day. Your pool could probably handle more right now, but since it's vinyl it's best to just be cautious until we see those good TF-100 readings. We're not trying to eradicate alage at this point anyways, just slow it a bit.

Reactions: Bcurtin24
One question on the bleach... is it 1-2 gallons each day or 1/2 gallon each day until the test kit arrives?

128 oz of 6% bleach will raise your FC by 2.9 ppm. You want plain bleach with no additives. No fragrance, not splashless, and not Clorox.

Reactions: Bcurtin24

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, so I got my testing kit today and if I did it correctly, the numbers are as follows:
Free chlorine 8.5
No combined chlorine
Calcium 200 ppm
Total Alkalinity 130
CYA 50
PH 7.2
BR. Above 10.

Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks again

Great job on the test results.
You have no Bromine in the pool unless you added it. So no need for that test.
Everything else is fine. How does your water look?

FC/CYA Levels
PoolMath
Go to the FC/CYA chart and use the Shock level for a 50 CYA, non-SWCG pool. It will be 20 ppm FC.
Use Poolmath to determine how much liquid chlorine to add to get to 20 ppm FC. Then test your FC as often as possible, at least 3 or 4 times per day, and raise your FC to 20 ppm.
SLAM Process

I linked the chart. Click on it.
You do not have a SWCG. That is why you will use the non-SWCG chart.
Sounds about right if you are using 6% bleach. Try to find some 10% at Walmart or Home Depot, etc.

You do not show a SWCG in your signature.

You still follow the non-SWCG until you are actually using the SWCG for chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.