Pool Flooding - options for raising the edge off the ground

Thor2

Oct 7, 2016
QLD, Australia
Every time a big storm comes through (4-5 times a year) the pool floods. This wouldn't be too bad if it was just clean rain water. Unfortunately when they put the pool in (previous owner) they didn't make the edges high enough so dirty/silty water flows in from around the pool. This is exacerbated by the pool being surrounded by banks on two sides. See photos
IMG_20170330_132321250.jpg
IMG_20170330_132334960_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Does anyone know of an easy and relatively inexpensive way of putting a lip on it to raise the edge an inch or so to block/divert the water? It's a pebble crete pool and approximately 20 years old so would probably need to be relined in the next 5-10 years or so but I rather not do that before it starts leaking.

I don't know about building up the coping around the pool, but I would try improving the drainage to try and move rainwater away from the pool. Putting in french drains may help. A landscaper could probably put it in for you.

I don't know about building up the coping around the pool, but I would try improving the drainage to try and move rainwater away from the pool. Putting in french drains may help. A landscaper could probably put it in for you.

Thanks for your reply Zea3. We have recently had a landscaper put in an agpipe behind some retaining walls which is the same as french drains I believe. This has helped a bit but we're close to the tropics and can get more than 2 inches of rain in an hour and things just overflow. I'm wondering if there is a way to put some sort of beveled edge along the coping as you call it.

Raising the height of the coping isn't going to help unless you put some sort of water tight barrier in otherwise water and dirt are just going to leak through. Then you still have to deal with draining the water away somehow.

Can you remove the mounds of dirt?

Hey Thor and welcome to TFP - the place for all drainage related frustrations :drown:

That is a poor pool installation or maybe the previous owners built up the beds around the pool incorrectly? Drainage should always go away from pool, not towards it. Drains (french or otherwise) and/or regrading the area immediately adjacent to the deck is the only logical solution. Band aids will likely not work given what you are up against. You need to get this corrected to have any hope of keeping the water in balance.

I would dig the flower beds out. Dot it down 3-5 inches below the coping and then add some decorative rock keeping it below the coping line. . Over the years they probably grew because of mulch and accumulation. Take the area and regrade to slope away from the pool. Then at the edge if needed add a small retaining along what looks to be a bamboo fence. Along the fence border is where I would put the drainage line. It's hard to tell from the two photos but this to me would be the easier solution.

Cam you post s picture of the entire area?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.