Pool filter strap

evanwellens

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Stony Point, NY
I have a older hayward cartridge filter and it's becoming nearly impossible to get the retaining strap springy thing ( see pict apologies if that is not the name ) to catch the screw threads when putting the filter back together after some cartridge cleaning. I've lubed it up , but it just never really reaches. Keeps getting worse and worst and seems like there must be a trick or easier way.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200527_125317.jpg
    20200527_125317.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 6
:bump:for anyone who has tricks for the Hayward filter.

I am lucky. I have a big mechanic's tool chest full of tools. I have some comically large channel locks that work to squeeze things together enough to start the nut. Then some judicious taps with a rubber mallet around the band takes up a bunch of slack so I can finish tightening.

You may need extra hands. One holds the ends together and waits to start the nut, the other person goes around with a mallet or block of wood tapping the ring to squeeze the to halves together.

I am a tool guys as well.. In fact our contractor said to me "You have waay too many tools" and I have some crazy large channel locks myself, but I'm not sure how they would get a bit on the rounded edges , unless you'res are so big they fit around the entire filter ( that would be impressive ). I have a spare set of hands, but presently the only way the 2 of us can get the job done is with the ratchet used to keep our 2 ton boat on it's trailer , and I seriously think that is going to destroy the filter. That said I'll take a closer look and see if channels would work. literally 1/2 inch more of threads and this would never be an issue.

Thank you for the reply !!
ps Nice quotes !!

I am lucky. I have a big mechanic's tool chest full of tools. I have some comically large channel locks that work to squeeze things together enough to start the nut. Then some judicious taps with a rubber mallet around the band takes up a bunch of slack so I can finish tightening.

You may need extra hands. One holds the ends together and waits to start the nut, the other person goes around with a mallet or block of wood tapping the ring to squeeze the to halves together.

Got a bolt cutter, Mr. Tool Guy? The spring doesn't need to be that long. Its only purpose is to show you when to stop tightening. Cut off an inch & it will be easier to get the nut on the bolt. My spring is probably 3 coils shorter than yours.

Last edited:
Got a bolt cutter, Mr. Tool Guy? The spring doesn't need to be that long. Its only purpose is to show you when to stop tightening. Cut off an inch & it will be easier to get the nut on the bolt. My spring is probably 3 coils shorter than yours.
Lol you know I actually don't , but I guess I can cut it with a grinder and metal blade, great idea.. Tx

Or maybe you can just buy one. I have Pentair, and my spring looks more like this one:
Wow that would be awesome.. This is a pentair, would the threads be compatible ? The filter is a Hayward.

I have some comically large channel locks that work to squeeze things together enough to start the
I bought a pair specifically for the pool equipment to use twice a year. They were $20 ish at HD and worth every last penny when i need them.

Reactions: evanwellens
Wow that would be awesome.. This is a pentair, would the threads be compatible ? The filter is a Hayward.
Sorry, I can't answer that. You'd have to do some research. Input "Hayward model# parts" into Amazon or your favorite search engine & see what you find. Or call Inyo Pools.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.