Pool filter leaking from bottom of canister

Jamieg1111

May 26, 2022
Cali
Hello.. I am helping take care of my elderly moms pool and her Hayward Super Star Clear Cartridge Filter is leaking from the bottom when it runs. We also notice when we try to vacuum the pool the dirt cloud returns to the pool through the jets.. hoping we don’t need a new filter body. We did replace the O ring and the water continues to leak.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Those two things (filter leak and cloudiness at return jets, may not be related. Depending on where the leak is, it may not be repairable since the filter is a highly pressurized vessel when the pump is on. It can be dangerous and rupture. But post a pic of the area if you can.

The cloudiness may mean the filter needs to be cleaned, or it may be algae. Can you post a full set of water test results? That would help.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Those two things (filter leak and cloudiness at return jets, may not be related. Depending on where the leak is, it may not be repairable since the filter is a highly pressurized vessel when the pump is on. It can be dangerous and rupture. But post a pic of the area if you can.

The cloudiness may mean the filter needs to be cleaned, or it may be algae. Can you post a full set of water test results? That would help.

Thanks for responding!! Attached are photos of the filter leaking, it’s coming from the back.

Attachments

• 6884583D-CA9A-4C75-BE9D-0D0143311578.jpeg
    6884583D-CA9A-4C75-BE9D-0D0143311578.jpeg
    440.2 KB · Views: 10
  • ED688FF0-0883-4AF4-9244-9B4859FFF547.jpeg
    ED688FF0-0883-4AF4-9244-9B4859FFF547.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 8
Kind of hard to tell. As you noted earlier probably leaking near the bottom or underneath. I was hoping maybe there was a fitting or something close to the area, but I don't see anything. If the filter is cracked underneath, it will eventually need to be replaced. :(

Kind of hard to tell. As you noted earlier probably leaking near the bottom or underneath. I was hoping maybe there was a fitting or something close to the area, but I don't see anything. If the filter is cracked underneath, it will eventually need to be replaced. If we took the filter apart and looked at the inside bottom is there any test we can do to see if there is a leak?

Kind of hard to tell. As you noted earlier probably leaking near the bottom or underneath. I was hoping maybe there was a fitting or something close to the area, but I don't see anything. If the filter is cracked underneath, it will eventually need to be replaced. :(
Do you know if there is a test we can complete if we took the filter apart and looked on the bottom inside of the canister for a crack? Hoping to confirm the crack before buying a whole new filter

Do you know if there is a test we can complete if we took the filter apart and looked on the bottom inside of the canister for a crack? Hoping to confirm the crack before buying a whole new filter
You would probably have to remove the pump top, then remove the internal parts (cartridges, etc) so that you can get all the way to the bottom. Then inspect the bottom from the inside. You should be able to see a defective area from inside.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.