Pool filling up, now what

dethnode

Apr 23, 2020
arkansas
So I purchase an above ground bestway pool, 22' x 52" it is about half way full, What do I need to do now? Should I test my water before doing any additions, then input that into pool math as a test results log, and use the pool math app to determine how much of what to add?

Hi Dethnode, I'm new at this too. I just purchased the AGP from Bestway, 20ftx48" and my pool is just about filled and I've been reading and looking at a lot of videos until I found TFP trying to figure out what my next move needs to be. Just putting the pool together was a nightmare, my picture directions really sucked a lot. I have the same question, what next. I'm reading the suggested reading on pool chemistry but I'm the kind of person that I like step-by-step instruction, I learn that way. Once I get an understanding and do a thing once or twice then I'm good to go. I ordered an Intex skimmer since my pool didn't come with one and also the Taylor 2006C test kit and hope they come in soon. I'm hoping that when your question gets answered mine will too. Best of luck on this pool maintenance journey.

Hi Dethnode, I'm new at this too. I just purchased the AGP from Bestway, 20ftx48" and my pool is just about filled and I've been reading and looking at a lot of videos until I found TFP trying to figure out what my next move needs to be. Just putting the pool together was a nightmare, my picture directions really sucked a lot. I have the same question, what next. I'm reading the suggested reading on pool chemistry but I'm the kind of person that I like step-by-step instruction, I learn that way. Once I get an understanding and do a thing once or twice then I'm good to go. I ordered an Intex skimmer since my pool didn't come with one and also the Taylor 2006C test kit and hope they come in soon. I'm hoping that when your question gets answered mine will too. Best of luck on this pool maintenance journey.
Hey Pam, Yeah my setup was not at all smooth, and to top it off, I have a pin prick size hole in the liner, should be easy enough to patch but shouldn't have to on a brand new pool. I am probably going to get an intex skimmer, but need to get the pool running first. Hopefully someone can post some instructions soon.

Dethnode, do you have one of the test kits we endorse? Either the TF-100 or the K-2006C. Truthfully the TF-100 is the better buy. www.tftestkits.net. The reason you need a full test kit like this is that we all need to be speaking the same testing lingo. When you tell us your FC is x and your CC is y, we understand what you're saying. Test strips or cheaper test kits don't give this exact information.

At the bottom of this page is our classic Web version of PoolMath. If you enter all your information at the top and bottom with your test results (or zero as some may be) and then enter in your desired goal level, it will tell you how much of each chemical you need. Later on you're going to want to get the App for your phone so it will save your results and log them.

Add CYA to get to 30ppm and then liquid chlorine to get to 5ppm, using PoolMath.

Go read thru Pool School and you'' find plenty of help there also. Check out the videos too!

Holler back with questions :)

Maddie :flower:

Fill it up, get the pump and filter going, and check for leaks.

If there was any FC in the water when it came out of the hose, it's all gone now. Consider it zero and add 3 FC. Give it a few minutes to spread out and it's safe to let kids in. They bathe in the same stuff, right?

You know there will be no CYA in there since tap water has none. You don't need to test for it, either. Mess around with the granules and the sock while the chlorine is mixing and put it in. Threaten the kids and tell them to leave it alone or they can't get in until it's all dissolved.

Then test pH and TA. If TA is below 50, raise it. If it's 50 or above, plug the numbers into poolmath and fix pH. You'll have to kick the kids out while you're messing with pH, for at least half an hour.

You should test CH just so you know what it is, not that there's anything to do about it. Low CH is no problem for a vinyl pool and there isn't a whole lot you can do about high CH since any replacement water will just be more of the same. There are steps to take to mitigate the risks of high CH, but don't worry about that yet.

And a word of advice on using poolmath. If your now reading is in range, that's your target. For example: say your pH is 7.3. Acceptable is 7.2 to 8.0. Ideal is 7.6 to 7.8. Don't target 7.7 and start micromanaging. Just leave it. If, however, your pH is outside of acceptable, then choose a target that is in the ideal range. Capiche?

Fill it up, get the pump and filter going, and check for leaks.

If there was any FC in the water when it came out of the hose, it's all gone now. Consider it zero and add 3 FC. Give it a few minutes to spread out and it's safe to let kids in. They bathe in the same stuff, right?

You know there will be no CYA in there since tap water has none. You don't need to test for it, either. Mess around with the granules and the sock while the chlorine is mixing and put it in. Threaten the kids and tell them to leave it alone or they can't get in until it's all dissolved.

Then test pH and TA. If TA is below 50, raise it. If it's 50 or above, plug the numbers into poolmath and fix pH. You'll have to kick the kids out while you're messing with pH, for at least half an hour.

You should test CH just so you know what it is, not that there's anything to do about it. Low CH is no problem for a vinyl pool and there isn't a whole lot you can do about high CH since any replacement water will just be more of the same. There are steps to take to mitigate the risks of high CH, but don't worry about that yet.

And a word of advice on using poolmath. If your now reading is in range, that's your target. For example: say your pH is 7.3. Acceptable is 7.2 to 8.0. Ideal is 7.6 to 7.8. Don't target 7.7 and start micromanaging. Just leave it. If, however, your pH is outside of acceptable, then choose a target that is in the ideal range. Capiche?

I think I follow, so, I can order the test kit, and while I am waiting on it, I can go ahead and safely assume that FC is 0 and I need to add bleach to get it up to 3. I can also safely assume that there is no CYA in there so while bleach is mixing, I can prepare that and then add.

When test kit comes in, test all levels and adjust any reading outside of "acceptable" to the targeted ideal range.
Question, So I began filling it yesterday, it was about half way full and kids wanted to get in. I let them get in and play around while it was filling up. At that point and still currently, no chemicals have been added, was that a mistake or is that ok, I just need to get some FC in there as soon as possible

I think I follow, so, I can order the test kit, and while I am waiting on it, I can go ahead and safely assume that FC is 0 and I need to add bleach to get it up to 3. I can also safely assume that there is no CYA in there so while bleach is mixing, I can prepare that and then add.

When test kit comes in, test all levels and adjust any reading outside of "acceptable" to the targeted ideal range.
Question, So I began filling it yesterday, it was about half way full and kids wanted to get in. I let them get in and play around while it was filling up. At that point and still currently, no chemicals have been added, was that a mistake or is that ok, I just need to get some FC in there as soon as possible
I doubt any damage was done to the kids or the water chemistry. The pH might be wrong, but it'll be similar to what they endure in the bathtub, just for a longer period of time. Worst case, red eyes. But do get some chlorine in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.