awpoll

Bronze Supporter
Jul 1, 2016
McDonough, Ga.
I have received my pool equipment list and I want feedback from you all. In reading on this forum it seems that a variable speed pump on the pool is the best pump. My PB called and told me that Jandy has been having issues with the VS Pumps which is why he recommended the Jandy FloPro 2.0 FHPM2.0. I certainly don't want anything installed that I have been warned has issues. Or is my PB feeding me a line?

My pool has a lot of piping. My PB is a plumbing mastermind.

PUMPS -
Pool - Jandy FloPro 2.0 FHPM2.0 This pump will mainly be responsible for the pool filtration and then can operate in spa mode.

Spa - Jandy Stealth SHPF3.0. This pump will be able to run the spa only ( no spillway function ). We did this so that we can heat the spa without heating the pool. We have two sets of drains in the spa floor. Our spa is 8' inside diameter and with 10 jets.

Waterfall - Jandy Stealth SHPF3.0. We will have ( 3 ) 36" CMP Natural Wonders Waterfalls and (2) bubblers in the Baja shelf. PB has added additional 2" pipe returns to the spa so if I only want to my 3 waterfalls and my spillway of my spa I can use this pump for that. I will be able to valve off the spa or the waterfalls or the bubblers and any combination. Each waterfall will have a Jandy valve.

My spa has a lot going on. There are two sets of drains. One set (2" piping ) to pool pump and one set ( 3" piping ) to dedicated spa pump. There are three sets of returns. The return (4) from the heater are in the footwell walls. The set of returns from the spa pump is in the jets(10) in the backs of the seating area. The last set of returns are from the waterfall pump. This is to allow more water volume if we really want to hear and see the splash. The spillway on the spa is 48"; wide and the spa is elevated 18".

Controller -
Jandy PDA-P4 BUNDLE KIT ( PDAP4SWC )
JVA ACTUATER ( 2 )
RELAY DPST 24 VDC COIL (2)
IAQUALINK 2.0 UPGRADE KIT RS

MISC ITEMS -

Jandy Pro Series Blower 2 HP PSB 220
CV580 Cart filter
Jandy Pro series JXI 400k BTU nat gas heater JXI400N
Jandy 24 Watt hydro cool lights (2)
Jandy 12 Watt hydro cool lights (4)
F8050 Sport Robotic cleaner

Your builder has one thing right and that is using one brand so everything can talk to each other on automation. Im no expert in pool equipment configuration, but i see too many pumps. One 3HP variable speed pump is all you need. Automation handles how the pump runs for every feature you have. If your builder is a mastermind plummer im sure he can make it run on one single pump.

It certainly seems like your plumbing mastermind is trying to sell you too many pumps. A single pump can control your pool/spa/waterfall, or maybe I could see a single pump to control the pool/spa + an extra for your waterfall if it was a really big waterfall.
Also, the comment about needing a spa pump to be able to heat the spa only is just wrong. The heater should heat whatever water is flowing through there. If you run it in spa mode, it will only heat the spa.
Lastly, would only the first pump be hooked up to the filter? If so, you would have to run 2 pumps to filter the spa in spa mode?

I'm curious to hear from others, but that certainly seems like an odd and inefficient setup that would cost a lot more to operate than a single VS pump.

Reactions: setsailsoon
If you plan to do any DIY in the future for rebuilding, replacing etc Jandy cuts your warranty to zero for everything except valves. Also they cut the warranty to zero if you purchase any parts online. If you plan to go back to your builder or an authorized agent this doesn't matter. I would get quotes for everything in Pentair and get their Intellicenter automation plus their 3hp Intelliflo VS pump. Both are the best in the industry in my opinion and several of our TFP experts.

I'm a little confused about your spa, no spillover comment. You should be able to run in spa mode with the pool pump using valves... why do you have an additional pump for this? Or is this your booster pump and normal flow does come from the pool pump?

Chris

I'm mainly bumping this in hopes that others may see it and chime in, but I've re-read your spa setup a couple of times and it seems like you can use all 3 pumps in your spa, each powering a different set of returns:

1st pump (pool/filter/heater) returns - This runs the floor jets, and would be the only jets with heated water.
2nd pump returns - This is the spa pump and runs the traditional jets on your bench, not connected to the filter or heater
3rd pump returns - This from the waterfall pump which can also power a set of returns in your spa. This one seems like overkill to me, plus, wouldn't the water pull from the pool and cause cold water to come out the jets and also overflow your spa into your pool?

Lastly, where are you at in construction? Hopefully it is still early on and the plumbing is not already in, otherwise it may be costly to redo, but I would think still cheaper than 3 different pumps.

I'm mainly bumping this in hopes that others may see it and chime in, but I've re-read your spa setup a couple of times and it seems like you can use all 3 pumps in your spa, each powering a different set of returns:

1st pump (pool/filter/heater) returns - This runs the floor jets, and would be the only jets with heated water.
2nd pump returns - This is the spa pump and runs the traditional jets on your bench, not connected to the filter or heater
3rd pump returns - This from the waterfall pump which can also power a set of returns in your spa. This one seems like overkill to me, plus, wouldn't the water pull from the pool and cause cold water to come out the jets and also overflow your spa into your pool?

Lastly, where are you at in construction? Hopefully it is still early on and the plumbing is not already in, otherwise it may be costly to redo, but I would think still cheaper than 3 different pumps.
All the plumbing is installed and shotcrete completed. My trenches are still open. No equipment has been purchased. You are correct in your pump descriptions. Originally the plan was to have 2 pumps. I would have a VS on the pool/spa as my main pump. The other would be a booster type pump for the spa because it is a large spa with 10 jets. Then my PB started telling me about past builds with water features that had issues due to not enough water flow to the features to make them operate correctly.

In everything I read if I put my equipment in spa mode then when the water flowed to the spa it would always overflow via the spillway into the pool water. I did not want to heat the spa only to dump it into the pool water to cool it down then cycle back through just to reheat again. It seemed like that would waste a lot of energy.

Ok, that makes a bit more sense.

I would assume the spa mode would shut off your pool skimmers & drains, so you have a set amount of water in your spa that you continually heat and filter. Unless the 3rd pump was running and pulling from the pool and emptying into the spa, your spillway shouldnt come into play in spa mode since that would dump your nicely heated water into the pool and be very inefficient as you mentioned above.

I'm still hoping others chime in to help you, but if I were you, I would at least be pushing for a VS pump for your filter pump. That is the pump that will be running 99% of the time, and will help you be able to dial down the RPMs and save you some $ on your electric bill. The other 2 pumps wont be as efficient, but wont be in use nearly as much.

Do not allow him to sell you the FloPro 2.0 FHPM2.0 (or the SHPF3.0) and insist on a variable speed pump. I have never heard anything about "problems with their variable speed pumps". I have all Jandy and have never had any issues, at all. If there was a systemic problem with Jandy VSPs it would be talked about on this forum and I have never seen a post on it. Sounds like a line to me. I bet he has some stocked that no one wants and is trying to dump them.

What saltwater generator are you getting I did not see it in the equipment list! :devilish:

Make SURE you are getting the IQ20-RS upgrade. Make sure that model specifically is listed in the equipment sheet. The IQ20-a is totally useless but some builders sneak it in because it is cheaper.

Here is a chart of costs for running your pump. Do NOT get ANY 1 or 2 speed pumps. Even a few RPMs will make a HUGE difference on running costs. You also may be able to get a utility rebate. I got a $400 rebate for going with a VSP so check this first to make sure what model they will accept for the rebate.

vsp-costs.jpg

Reactions: damon5683
In everything I read if I put my equipment in spa mode then when the water flowed to the spa it would always overflow via the spillway into the pool water. I did not want to heat the spa only to dump it into the pool water to cool it down then cycle back through just to reheat again. It seemed like that would waste a lot of energy.

Most spa pools do not do that when you're in spa mode. They use a valve on the inlet and discharge of the pump (after the heater) to allow the water to circulate to and from the spa. So there's no water overflowing. No additional pump needed. Booster is used for venturi bubblers.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do not allow him to sell you the FloPro 2.0 FHPM2.0 (or the SHPF3.0) and insist on a variable speed pump. I have never heard anything about "problems with their variable speed pumps". I have all Jandy and have never had any issues, at all. If there was a systemic problem with Jandy VSPs it would be talked about on this forum and I have never seen a post on it. Sounds like a line to me. I bet he has some stocked that no one wants and is trying to dump them.

What saltwater generator are you getting I did not see it in the equipment list! :devilish:

Make SURE you are getting the IQ20-RS upgrade. Make sure that model specifically is listed in the equipment sheet. The IQ20-a is totally useless but some builders sneak it in because it is cheaper.

Here is a chart of costs for running your pump. Do NOT get ANY 1 or 2 speed pumps. Even a few RPMs will make a HUGE difference on running costs. You also may be able to get a utility rebate. I got a $400 rebate for going with a VSP so check this first to make sure what model they will accept for the rebate.

View attachment 126037
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to go over everything with my PB once I get the feedback needed from the forum and talking to others. I just talked to another Jandy equipment installer and he has not heard anything about failures on the VSP. This guy did mention the plusHP pump or the I think the SWG is in the PDAP4SWC KIT. I'm also missing the bubbler fittings on my list. The upgrade code on my list is IQ20-RS. I will call my electrical service provider tomorrow to ask about rebates.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to go over everything with my PB once I get the feedback needed from the forum and talking to others. I just talked to another Jandy equipment installer and he has not heard anything about failures on the VSP. This guy did mention the plusHP pump or the I think the SWG is in the PDAP4SWC KIT. I'm also missing the bubbler fittings on my list. The upgrade code on my list is IQ20-RS. I will call my electrical service provider tomorrow to ask about rebates.
I don't recall any issues being reported here on the Jandy VS pump... would think we would have heard about it here. My entire system was Jandy originally including iAqualink 2.0. It all worked pretty well 'till my lightning strike. I didn't have their VS pump but I still run the old FHPM pump with a VS motor conversion. We have a couple of experts that should know about this @ajw22 @Jimrahbe have either of you heard of a problem with Jandy VS pumps?

A,

The only VS pump failure trend that I remember was a specific Hayward pump. As far as I know, Jandy doesn't have a failure problem with any of their VS pumps.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks. I just talked to my PB and told him I wanted him to put a VS as my main pool pump. I mentioned a VS for my waterfalls ( 3 CMP 36” Natural Wonders about 100 ft from pump supplied with 2” pipe ). He doesn’t think a VS will work well enough to push the volume of water needed. He will check tomorrow on that one. He strongly recommended a Stealth 3.0 for our spa. 10 jets 2” supply and its 65’ from pump.

Something to think about for the future. All your motors on these pumps will be VS when replaced after July 2021. There will be no single speed motors over 1.1 THP for pool pumps sold in the United States after that date.

I am not familiar with that bundle but just make sure that you are getting either the PLC1400 or PSOFT1400. They are both basically the same SWG. Usually the FusionSoft is cheaper (PSOFT1400) because they use expensive consumable mineral cartridges that are not needed and you should not use. Just leave that section of the SWG empty if this is the case. Don't let him sell you either of the 700 series models as you want the higher chlorine output models. Also you do not want the TruClear system for sure.

One more thing to consider is the P4 is capacity limited for expansion. I have automated everything I could with electronic valves and I wish I had a couple more. I also have a P4 system. A P6 or P8 would give you more room for expansion. Controllable electric outlets also need extra capacity.

I use the SmartJVA controller boards which allows me to set any of my valves in 5% increments (using the remote). Jandy (I think) is the only maker with this level of automation granulation in the valve controllers. It is especially useful for water features dialing in precise control. It is not an expensive upgrade the SmartJVA boards run about $150 each and you need one for each JVA you want to control in 5% increments. Don't be surprised if your builder has never heard of these as most haven't. They can be added fairly easily at a later date though.

One more thing to think about is if you want to control your low-voltage landscape lighting with iAqualink simply have your builder wire an outlet where your low voltage controller will plug in to an available relay on the iAqualink. Once done, you'll be able to turn the lights on/off with the controller and use Jandy's scheduler to schedule them. It is a great feature!

Oh FYI Alexa has a Jandy skill so be sure to download it and check it out! "Alexa, turn on pool lights", "Alexa, turn on waterfall"

Don't forget a build thread with lots of pics!

I am not familiar with that bundle but just make sure that you are getting either the PLC1400 or PSOFT1400. They are both basically the same SWG. Usually the FusionSoft is cheaper (PSOFT1400) because they use expensive consumable mineral cartridges that are not needed and you should not use. Just leave that section of the SWG empty if this is the case. Don't let him sell you either of the 700 series models as you want the higher chlorine output models. Also you do not want the TruClear system for sure.

One more thing to consider is the P4 is capacity limited for expansion. I have automated everything I could with electronic valves and I wish I had a couple more. I also have a P4 system. A P6 or P8 would give you more room for expansion. Controllable electric outlets also need extra capacity.

I use the SmartJVA controller boards which allows me to set any of my valves in 5% increments (using the remote). Jandy (I think) is the only maker with this level of automation granulation in the valve controllers. It is especially useful for water features dialing in precise control. It is not an expensive upgrade the SmartJVA boards run about $150 each and you need one for each JVA you want to control in 5% increments. Don't be surprised if your builder has never heard of these as most haven't. They can be added fairly easily at a later date though.

One more thing to think about is if you want to control your low-voltage landscape lighting with iAqualink simply have your builder wire an outlet where your low voltage controller will plug in to an available relay on the iAqualink. Once done, you'll be able to turn the lights on/off with the controller and use Jandy's scheduler to schedule them. It is a great feature!

Oh FYI Alexa has a Jandy skill so be sure to download it and check it out! "Alexa, turn on pool lights", "Alexa, turn on waterfall"

Don't forget a build thread with lots of pics!
Great information. I have Alexa and I do plan on using the skill to control my pool features. I do want future expansion for outlet controls. I'll try to send you my equipment list in a PM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.