Pool electricity - How do you know if you have a GFCI on your pool pump and light outlet?

Zwrickers

Jun 21, 2019
Louisville KY
Hi, this might be dumb, but I recently found out that our pool setup is 15 years old, and that electrical requirements for pools over 10 years ago might not have GFCI protection. I have a post by my ABP with one outlet for the pump and another, regular outlet next to it for the aqualuminator light. I haven't even used the light yet because I'm worried about electrocution...what if my system is not safe?

Is there a way to find out if the electrical hookup by my pool pump/light is safe? Or do I have to suck it up and call in an electrician to test it somehow?

Thanks,
Kristin

GFCI outlets have "test" and "reset" buttons on them. It will be obvious. It is also possible that a GFCI breaker was used rather than outlet. You would need to look in the breaker box for that, but it is the same idea, "test" and "reset" buttons.

It is also possible, but less likely, that the outlet is GFCI protected by another GFCI outlet. They can be wired to protect multiple outlets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.