Pool drain clog issue (maybe)

Jun 2, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
We think we may have cloggage issues. :(

Last night when draining the pool (sigh) the output water pressure coming from the blue hose was nothing like it used to be.

Hubby thought maybe the pool drain is clogged?

I said with all the dust storms from spring, perhaps so.

Any thoughts on this?

Also if it is clogged, how to unclog? Sure would be nice if it were as simple as putting the vacuum cleaner on top of the drain and letting it sit there suctioning all that dirt up.

Thanks in advance, again!

If it's a gravity drain, it could be clogged with dirt, etc. If it's the main drain it still could be clogged but less likely. You could use a drain king to put pressure back through the piping and see if anything comes out of it.

Can you set the MPV on circulate and switch between skimmers and the main drain? Try that and compare pressure out the returns. If both are the same, and less than normal, problem is more likely in the pump (clogs or other problem with impeller.) Also verify that no water is coming out blue tube when on Filter or Recirc. This would indicate an MPV problem such as a spider gasket issue that could cause this. It's hard to plug a main drain if you don't have a layer of crud in the bottom of the pool, which I assume you do not have, or you would have mentioned it. I admit I know nothing about this Texas dust that folks down there talk about, but I wouldn't think it could plug a floor drain against 2hp.

A 2HP Whisperflo should be able to suck a 15K pool dry real fast.

How low were you draining? Just getting rid of rain water, or below the skimmers? As the water level drops, the pump will move less water, and most pumps can't even pump water a couple of feet below the skimmers.

Durk said:
Can you set the MPV on circulate and switch between skimmers and the main drain? Try that and compare pressure out the returns. If both are the same, and less than normal, problem is more likely in the pump (clogs or other problem with impeller.) Also verify that no water is coming out blue tube when on Filter or Recirc. This would indicate an MPV problem such as a spider gasket issue that could cause this. It's hard to plug a main drain if you don't have a layer of crud in the bottom of the pool, which I assume you do not have, or you would have mentioned it. I admit I know nothing about this Texas dust that folks down there talk about, but I wouldn't think it could plug a floor drain against 2hp.

A 2HP Whisperflo should be able to suck a 15K pool dry real fast.

in total agreement....if flow is consistent regardless of setting you most likely have and issue listed above or are taking in air somewhere due to a faulty gasket.

I'm not a big fan of using the pool equipment to drain the pool for those exact reasons...severe damage can occur.... has anyone suggested renting a submersible pump from home depot or a similar tool rental place?

JohnT said:
How low were you draining? Just getting rid of rain water, or below the skimmers? As the water level drops, the pump will move less water, and most pumps can't even pump water a couple of feet below the skimmers.

I thought that was the advantage of a pump designed specifically for IG pools, that it could self prime and pull from well below the pump's level?

JohnT said:

Good point. I assumed OP was just draining excess rain water. If system is airtight, one or two feet won't make much difference. But if skimmers go dry and you are trying to go real low, you are sucking air even if the skimmer is off. You can try the old run a slow hose into the skimmer trick to try and maintain prime if that is the case. Air in the pump chamber is another clue you should look for.

With galvanized pipes and brass gate valves, I could suck all 40K gal down to 10' out of my old pool as long as I didn't stop. I haven't tried the new one with all this plastic junk :) .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.