Pool dig happening, need help with final placement!

rk05

Jan 20, 2018
cincy ohio
Well, we are only close to two months behind schedule but the builder said he would start digging this week!

I'm trying to make the best use of the patio that will be built along with the pool so figured those of you who already have a pool could help. Currently we have paid for 1040sqf of concrete. The pool is 32x16 and with the long side of the patio being 58' that leaves us with about 28' the other direction. We originaly wanted the pool to sit 4' off the short wall and 5' off the long wall. The would give us 22' from the waters edge to the house and 7' on the left side of the pool. I may end up buying another 3' on the left side of the pool so that with a 6' lounge chair you have 4' in front.

Would you pull the pool closer to the house to give more room on the back (deep) side of the pool, if so how much?

We would like to have maybe a 6' rould table closer to the house and possibly one or two of the taller two seat bar type tables.

The other issue we have is that the pool will get full sun all day with NO shade until late evening by the trees on the left. We are putting in 6 green giant arborvitaes as privacy but they shouldn't add any shade for a long time. So there was a thought about putting in a pergula or some type of structure down the road and for the time being use pop up tents for shade. Where would a good spot to put such a structure, near the house, in the middle or back left?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Aerial2.png
    Aerial2.png
    537.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Pool_Layout.png
    Pool_Layout.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 45
Well, we are only close to two months behind schedule but the builder said he would start digging this week!

I'm trying to make the best use of the patio that will be built along with the pool so figured those of you who already have a pool could help. Currently we have paid for 1040sqf of concrete. The pool is 32x16 and with the long side of the patio being 58' that leaves us with about 28' the other direction. We originaly wanted the pool to sit 4' off the short wall and 5' off the long wall. The would give us 22' from the waters edge to the house and 7' on the left side of the pool. I may end up buying another 3' on the left side of the pool so that with a 6' lounge chair you have 4' in front.

Would you pull the pool closer to the house to give more room on the back (deep) side of the pool, if so how much?

We would like to have maybe a 6' rould table closer to the house and possibly one or two of the taller two seat bar type tables.

The other issue we have is that the pool will get full sun all day with NO shade until late evening by the trees on the left. We are putting in 6 green giant arborvitaes as privacy but they shouldn't add any shade for a long time. So there was a thought about putting in a pergula or some type of structure down the road and for the time being use pop up tents for shade. Where would a good spot to put such a structure, near the house, in the middle or back left?

Thanks!
I would personally put the pool further from the house, as far as possible (even turn the direction of it so the 32' side faces the house if possible, but i know you didn't ask that). My reasoning is, having my 2nd pool at different houses, the area on the far side of of the pool, away from the house winds up being unused space. I'd do minimal decking there, just enough to walk around. Everyone congregates near the house side. Same with friends' pools. I prefer as little concrete as possible so i'm not much help on that. It's going to be beautiful either way!

Well, I will take the opposite view. Closer to the house. The pool will become your primary focal point and gathering place. I would turn it I think so the long side is on the house and actually move it over so it is directly behind and integrated into your existing patio.

I lot depends on where your kitchen window lies. You will want to look out from the house to the pool so wherever in your house the kitchen is you will want to see it from there. This is just the usual place people gather. YMMV

PoolGate and Necta make good points. I think I would center it on the windows of the house. By looking at the aerial view, can see see from the front door through the house out to the back? What a nice view that would be when greeting guests at the front door.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Unfortunitly, I have already spent a pretty penny for two walls (planned on only one but needed another due to th fence). The formal dinning room windows line up with the pool going the way I have it shown. The kitchen window would have you looking left regardless what way it is positioned.

The wall measures 27' from the edge of the house. If we were to rotate it 90 degrees the left edge of the pool would sit outside the house by 9'+4' for conrete around that side if I kept it 4' off of each wall. We would need to make the patio an "L" shape then to accomedate the rotation. That would give us 38' from the house to the water!

Not sure if 1) I can do it due to permits ect 2) the overall look with regards to the pool being closer to my neigbhors side.

If I HAD to keep it the original direction, how would you shift it, IF you do?

Does shifting it mess up the possiblity of adding a structure for shade?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Unfortunitly, I have already spent a pretty penny for two walls (planned on only one but needed another due to th fence). The formal dinning room windows line up with the pool going the way I have it shown. The kitchen window would have you looking left regardless what way it is positioned.

The wall measures 27' from the edge of the house. If we were to rotate it 90 degrees the left edge of the pool would sit outside the house by 9'+4' for conrete around that side if I kept it 4' off of each wall. We would need to make the patio an "L" shape then to accomedate the rotation. That would give us 38' from the house to the water!

Not sure if 1) I can do it due to permits ect 2) the overall look with regards to the pool being closer to my neigbhors side.

If I HAD to keep it the original direction, how would you shift it, IF you do?

Does shifting it mess up the possiblity of adding a structure for shade?
I would not shift it then. I like how you'll have the lawn area to the left of the pool. You could put a pergola or sail shade on the left side in the future. See how you use the pool and where / if you want to add one (you might find that you don't need it).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.