Pool deck repair/replacement help

Jenn590

Jun 17, 2019
Louisiana
Frequent reader here even though I don't post often--I have used the TFP methods to successfully rescue my swampy pool with terrible deteriorated plaster at my fixer-upper home for the last couple of years and FINALLY saved up to get it redone this year-yay! I'm doing things all out of order by accident (pool replaster got moved up several weeks because so many other people's tile/finish materials are apparently on backorder).

All that to say, now I have beautiful new plaster that I'm babysitting through plaster start-up process and still have a disaster of a deck with lots of rotten wood/loose boards. I was planning to replace with a concrete deck so it's easier to maintain, but I have a couple of huge old oak trees very close by and am worried that it's going to be a problem to do concrete, at least on that side of the pool. I've read elsewhere that concrete may even suffocate some of the roots and compromise the trees, creating another expensive problem. I've added some pictures below.

Any ideas/suggestions? Maybe I should just stick with a wood or composite deck? Some days I think I should just tear it all out and have grass up to the brick coping, a walkway with some pavers or flagstone, with a little retaining wall on the higher side to keep all the dirt from draining into the pool when it rains.

I'm planning to do black metal fencing to meet local code for safety around pools. This "unique" property is really presenting a challenge as I try to fix it up without completely breaking the bank - I'm just hoping that someone out there has a more creative brain than me and maybe can point me in the right direction with this crazy deck. :)

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Attachments

• Pool before -after draining.JPG
    Pool before -after draining.JPG
    753.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Pool after filling.JPG
    Pool after filling.JPG
    501.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Pool post plaster.jpg
    Pool post plaster.jpg
    858.1 KB · Views: 60
Geez, I can't imagine a few feet of concrete, right next to your pool, affecting those well-established trees. I'd be more worried about what the tree roots might do to the deck. I think there are paver installations that can remain porous. Others here will know more than I do about that.

That's not why I chimed in. Look for a large copper wire (like about 1/8" diameter) coming out of the ground near your equipment pad and attaching somewhere to your equipment, usually the pump at least. If you don't see one, you're missing your bond wire (something that protects swimmers from errant voltage differentials). It's not uncommon for older pools to be missing a bonding grid. One of the many things that should be connected to your bond wire is that metal ladder. Before you lay down a new deck is the time to install a proper bond wire, to modernize your pool's electrical system along with the rest.

Pool looks great, btw!

Last edited:
I think I’d agree. I’d be more worried about what the tree roots would do to the deck or the pool wall. But they appear to be well established so it’s not like the roots are going get that much larger. I wouldn’t worry about a new deck, but I’d check those trees well to figure out where the potential “fall” path is likely to be and make sure it isn’t your house.

Hey Jenn !!! Well the good news is that oak roots grow down and not out, just like a tooth. It's what gives them their well documented strength. That said, those 2 trees are monsters and still may stretch out 10 ft (?) in all directions, but they will be the smaller roots if so. The ones that are wrist thick instead of waist thick.

Any experienced concrete company will know how close is too close. I suspect they would want a gap where the pointy part comes off the stump and almost touches the pool.

For all grass, you might google and look at some of the artificial turf options.
I used to have grass, 5' from my pool, and someone to mow it. Once a week my pool was full of grass clippings. I think maintaining real grass right up next to a pool would not be fun. I'm not a fan of artificial, but I'd choose it over real right up next to the coping if I was determined to have that look.

How's your water supply? Where I live, lawns are not "in fashion." We can't even plant them anymore in most places...

Thank you all so much! I appreciate the advice - definitely didn't think that through with the grass that close to the pool. I already have the challenge of all the leaves/etc from the trees (and the squirrels who apparently live to torment me by tossing acorn shells in my pool) so grass clippings would definitely be annoying.

I've gotten preliminary quotes from 2 concrete companies and one of them seemed to think it was no issue and the other was a little more worried about it, which prompted me to do a little more research.

@Bperry - I try not to think too much about the fall zone for these trees...there is no good outcome if that happens since they are huge old trees and right in the midst of my house, my neighbor's house and the pool, but I have had arborist check them out and trimmed when I moved in a few years ago and keep a close eye on them. It's part of the "fun" of being a homeowner, right?

@Dirk, that's very interesting about the bond wire - I was very worried about the pool light and housing when I first starting working on this project, but the electrician I had out at the time checked it all out and it was ok, so I believe it and the rest of it is all grounded correctly, but I'll definitely check it out.

Thanks again everyone!

Reactions: Newdude
Bonding and grounding are two different things. You need both done correctly to achieve the safest pool. And unfortunately not all electricians understand that. And you called it correctly, the pool light's niche should also be connected to the bonding grid. You need someone familiar with pool electrical systems to evaluate. The pool light should also be GFCI protected. Is it?

Did you find the bond wire I recommended you look for? If not, and your electrician declared your pool's electrical system was OK, without even discussing bonding with you, or if there is no GFCI on that light, then you definitely need a different electrician.

It’s the permeable pavers that let water pass into the ground. We had considered them for the front yard so I don’t know if they are pool area appropriate. We ended up using standard pavers. Permeable costs more than the standard equivalent but I do not know if the installation costs differ. Another option might be concrete pavers spaced with rock.

Edit: I’ve attached the permeable ad design we had been looking at. This one has spacing but I’ve seen it look more standard install too.

Attachments

• 57A97346-4113-466F-AB58-CFEC4F9128D5.jpeg
    57A97346-4113-466F-AB58-CFEC4F9128D5.jpeg
    372.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: Jenn590 and Dirk
Bonding and grounding are two different things. You need both done correctly to achieve the safest pool. And unfortunately not all electricians understand that. And you called it correctly, the pool light's niche should also be connected to the bonding grid. You need someone familiar with pool electrical systems to evaluate. The pool light should also be GFCI protected. Is it?

Did you find the bond wire I recommended you look for? If not, and your electrician declared your pool's electrical system was OK, without even discussing bonding with you, or if there is no GFCI on that light, then you definitely need a different electrician.
I've done a little reading now and yes, now understand the idea of bonding-it's very interesting and clearly very important! The light is GFCI protected (and tested recently to make sure it still works correctly). I think I found the bond wire but I'll be honest, the weather here today was nasty - very cold and rainy and I didn't have enough motivation to investigate further today but I definitely will tomorrow! I'm hoping it's still connected as it should be...fingers crossed.

Thanks again for the information!

Reactions: Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.