Pool deck experience with hot concrete pavers

I'm thinking of having my pool deck redone. It's some type of Kool deck or a cool deck, not sure which. It is peeling and cracking and is 9 years old. I also have a tree root that grew under the deck walkway and I might have to have it broken up to get it removed. I've seen older thread on the same subject and people recommended travertine or acrylic concrete as the best options for a pool deck, besides Kool deck. IMG_20200709_175946.jpgIMG_20200709_175946.jpg

I put several samples of pavers out in the sun all day next to existing concrete and in the hottest part of the afternoon they were all too hot to comfortably stand on. We don't have any kids in the house, but are concerned about our 5 dogs burning their paws. We are adding 7 umbrella pockets in the deck during construction because they are only $20 each (but umbrellas aren't cheap). We really had hoped to put in sun sails but our HOA doesn't allow them. I am having the umbrella pockets spaced to be able to add posts for sun sails if we have large parties where more shade may be needed and will just have to take them down after each use

Definitely go as light as possible. I once had a burn that covered almost the whole ball of my foot from walking across dark beige concrete deck... it actually blistered! Man, that hurt.

I would strongly encourage water shoes for the baby.

@bbqjosh What brand are the white pavers you tested? I am looking at white and pewter pavers(flagstone brand) or artistic pavers which are 5k more so not sure if we will splurge for those. Here are ones we are looking at. I wonder if the pewter will make them hotter.

Attachments

• A71C0DE0-C263-4370-B2D6-ED7C137904FF.png
    A71C0DE0-C263-4370-B2D6-ED7C137904FF.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
@bbqjosh What brand are the white pavers you tested? I am looking at white and pewter pavers(flagstone brand) or artistic pavers which are 5k more so not sure if we will splurge for those. Here are ones we are looking at. I wonder if the pewter will make them hotter.
I got the pavers from Paver Depot. I'm not sure where they source from, but you can call them and inquire. I would get a sample and put it outside and go step on it at different times throughout the day. That is what I did to make sure it didn't get too hot.

Reactions: ckinchen
craigP
It is the shell beige that is shown in the NPT hardscapes catalog as limestone. When we went to view it in full sun at the distributor last week, it looked even whiter/brighter. It is a second home so I am not there all the time. They are installing the coping some time this week. Due to lack of pre cut coping, they will be slicing up the 12 x 24 pieces. I should be able to post some pictures this weekend.

@chemsales were you by chance able to take pictures of the Shell Beige paver cut for coping? I’m going with travertine coping cut from 16x24 pavers and my wife and I want to go with Shell Beige but we’re hard pressed to go with it solely after the pictures in the catalog and I can’t find it anywhere in Austin to get eyes on it.

Attached are some pictures (before and after hurricane damage). In full sunlight they almost look totally white. Any other time, you can pick up the beige overtones. We are extremely happy with the choice for both color and coolness. In mid-August, we had some mid 90's days with heat index of 105. The pavers were almost cool to the touch. Some of this I believe is from our pavers being on minimal crushed base on top of sand. I have a 4" x 6" piece with me. If you send me your address via private message, I would be happy to send it out on Monday.

Attachments

• 1599404273913.JPG
    1599404273913.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0902.jpg
    IMG_0902.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0943.jpg
    IMG_0943.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0944.jpg
    IMG_0944.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0954.JPG
    IMG_0954.JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1007.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1018.PNG
    IMG_1018.PNG
    320.5 KB · Views: 37
Very kind of you, @chemsales . These pictures were incredibly helpful, especially the one with the paver against the blue background. My wife and I are now confident this is the right choice for us. We’re having the pavers cut for coping and retaining wall capping. No need to go out of your way to send me the sample but, again, thanks so much for your help! Btw, your setup looks great!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm thinking of having my pool deck redone. It's some type of Kool deck or a cool deck, not sure which. It is peeling and cracking and is 9 years old. I also have a tree root that grew under the deck walkway and I might have to have it broken up to get it removed. I've seen older thread on the same subject and people recommended travertine or acrylic concrete as the best options for a pool deck, besides Kool deck.

I thought Kool deck is a coating?
Those tree roots aren't very large. Find the main one from the tree and chop that in half. That'll take care of the problem. We had to do that on our front oak trees because the roots were heading towards our foundation.

My thought is. .. Why not put cheap rattan mats out as a walkway? Or stepping stones on top of the deck? While marble is a cool stone, it is more fragile than granite. Anyway, thinking outside the box.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.