Pool deck experience with hot concrete pavers

aztony

Bronze Supporter
Oct 10, 2012
Maricopa, Arizona
I'm thinking of having my pool deck redone. It's some type of Kool deck or a cool deck, not sure which. It is peeling and cracking and is 9 years old. I also have a tree root that grew under the deck walkway and I might have to have it broken up to get it removed. I've seen older thread on the same subject and people recommended travertine or acrylic concrete as the best options for a pool deck, besides Kool deck. IMG_20200709_175946.jpgIMG_20200709_175946.jpg

spd500

Jul 20, 2020
Houston, TX
I put several samples of pavers out in the sun all day next to existing concrete and in the hottest part of the afternoon they were all too hot to comfortably stand on. We don't have any kids in the house, but are concerned about our 5 dogs burning their paws. We are adding 7 umbrella pockets in the deck during construction because they are only $20 each (but umbrellas aren't cheap). We really had hoped to put in sun sails but our HOA doesn't allow them. I am having the umbrella pockets spaced to be able to add posts for sun sails if we have large parties where more shade may be needed and will just have to take them down after each use

kellyfair

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 29, 2016
Tampa, FL
Definitely go as light as possible. I once had a burn that covered almost the whole ball of my foot from walking across dark beige concrete deck... it actually blistered! Man, that hurt.

I would strongly encourage water shoes for the baby.

bbqjosh

Apr 17, 2020
Orlando, FL
@bbqjosh What brand are the white pavers you tested? I am looking at white and pewter pavers(flagstone brand) or artistic pavers which are 5k more so not sure if we will splurge for those. Here are ones we are looking at. I wonder if the pewter will make them hotter.
I got the pavers from Paver Depot. I'm not sure where they source from, but you can call them and inquire. I would get a sample and put it outside and go step on it at different times throughout the day. That is what I did to make sure it didn't get too hot.

Reactions: ckinchen