Pool decided it wants to be uncovered. Do I recover it?

SuzyAbbott

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 29, 2011
Hamilton, NJ
So were getting crazy winds here in nj today and since the ice melted off the pool cover the wind was tearing the cover off. I unhooked it and drug it to the side and put blocks on so it doesn't blow away.

The question is, we planned on opening it I'm two weeks anyway. Do I bother recovering it at this point?

It was winterized but the filters not set up yet so I can't circulate it. Do I recover it or let it go!

Any help is appreciated!!

I think it would depend on a couple of things.
1. How hard is it to recover?
2. Do you have a way to move the water so you can keep it chlorinated?

If it's not very hard to recover I'd probably just do that.
If you don't have a good way to keep it chlorinated, I'd definitely recover it.

Most of the grommets are torn on the cover. We had these
Freak winds today from an unusual direction and trashed it

I still have the winter clorinator floatie in it so there is some chlorine.
We leave tomorrow for vacation of course. The pool guy is
Coming on the 27th so I either have to go buy a cover
Tonight or just let it go uncovered till then.

Is it going to swamp do you think? Were still running between 40-50 degrees
On average... I need a drink!!

Now, I have no data to back up this point of view, but I would be worried that a floatie is not effectively chlorinating your pool when there is no circulation. Best you could do is dump liquid chlorine and stir it well with a skimmer net. Even that may not distribute the chlorine perfectly. Maybe that could be done daily for 2 weeks if you keep an eye on the levels.

I hear you! I'm struggling too. Just not sure why it would be different with the cover on vs it off. I'm sure I'll end up with leaves I need to vacuum but does the cover really affect the chlorination provided the water is not over 60 degrees? There's still ice in it at this point :)

Algae grows much slower in cold water but it does still grow. You can add bleach and then brush the pool to mix it in. If the water is clear now I would just add enough to get to the top of the recommended range for your pool. Pour the bleach around the perimeter of the pool and then brush it. Since the water is cold the dose of bleach should last for several days. If you want to be really sure it stays clear add enough bleach to bring it to slam level and then brush it. Test the water every few days and add chlorine as needed until you are ready to open the pool.

I hear you! I'm struggling too. Just not sure why it would be different with the cover on vs it off. I'm sure I'll end up with leaves I need to vacuum but does the cover really affect the chlorination provided the water is not over 60 degrees? There's still ice in it at this point :)

Two things will lower (consume) chlorine in your pool: organic material and sunlight. The cover will keep both out.

We always open at the end of march. We have solar heaters that warm the pool and we're usually swimming by mid april. The location of the pool is direct sun all day so it warms pretty quickly. The back deck was 84 on sunday :) the front of the house was high 40s!

Still undecided on whether to recover or not. the overall opinions are 50/50 whether not to bother or to recover! ugh!! if we leave open then I'll throw some extra shock in tonight and give it a good stir. This was not on my list to do before leaving for airport!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.