Pool Covers and Cat Claw Punctures

fairway221

Silver Supporter
Apr 10, 2022
Sioux Falls, SD
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Has anyone on this forum had an issue with cat claws poking holes or tearing a pool cover?

We have a reasonably new Cover Pools pool cover over our indoor pool. The manufacturer states this is a "Quadcore fabric and engineered for durability" and a material of "PVC vinyl, laminated over a reinforced polyester mesh for strength and tear resistance".

We are in the process of adopting a stray cat that has been living on our property for a few months and just had a litter of kittens in our garage. We are keeping the cat and kittens in a warm room off of the pool room until my wife can find homes for the kittens and possibly bringing mom cat into the main house. But during this process we may end up with the mother cat and perhaps a kitten or two sneaking out onto the cover. My concern is how diligent we need to be on preventing this. I'm not concerned about kittens falling in the water as the cover would be fully closed when/if they are in that area.

I know I can poke a hole in the cover sample piece with a pin but that takes a bit of pressure and I would think an 8 pound cat or tiny kitten might not be able to do that as they don't generally walk with their claws out.

I appreciate any comments or experience on this as I would suspect a lot of outdoor cats have walked across pool covers.

Hmmmm... well, I'm sure I've had various small animals like squirrels on my outdoor cover and have never noticed or found any leaks?
Perhaps adding an half inch of water on *top* of the cover would be enough to discourage them from going on to it? When you want to open the cover you can brush the water away or into the pool (assuming its clean). These covers can stand a bit of water weight on them... lord knows mine can!

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.