Pool cover won't open

megy2001

Sep 28, 2020
San Jose, CA
Hello,
I have a 4.5yr old coverpool t3 cover that suddenly today will not open. The motor does spin, but the 'double dog' clutch won't engage - basically one half of it spins but can't connect to the other side. What happens if the part under the strap (see photo) will spin, but since it doesn't connect or touch the other half on the left, then the cover doesn't retract - the motor just spins in vain. I've called the local service company to get someone to come out here, and they are acting like they have to replace parts plus do 2-3 hours of labor (which they will happily charge me for). This is after they were out here exactly *2 weeks* ago to do yearly check-in on everything and adjust the ropes. The timing makes me very suspicious (we've had no issues w/ this cover for > 4yrs, then suddenly 2 weeks after they come out it stops working). So I'm very curious if others have seen this issue before, what was the fix, and did it really involve 3 hours of labor (that I'll be charged $125/hr for).

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

avspin

Gold Supporter
Jun 3, 2015
Reno, NV
I think it may be the shear pin. Check out these older posts I mentioned how to fix, if that's it.